Why become a member? ×

Today I R mostly thinkinz abaht basses...

Kiwi

...reliced 1960 P and J basses in oxised LPB over Fiesta Red by Allan Knight (basically to match Herbie Flowers '59 jazz)

and stainless steel fretboards for my fretless Shuker Headless 6 since seeing Wombatboters Le Fay basses.

You...?

Herbie Rules! I'm not a great fan of the relic concept unless you did a DIY job over the course of 30 years or so.
That'd make it a [i]real[/i] relic, but I do quite like that. Always wanted a a V/T V/T jazz, and meant to do it to my Squire VMJ, but haven't got around to it.

Me likey!

Would make an interesting replica project, maybe using a CV 60's Jazz as a base.

Bet it sounds real nice too... I've always liked the look of those stack knobs.

Edited by bh2

That's lovely. I think about basses every day.

Would like to get a '61 Jazz to go with my P Bass... one day...maybe...perhaps... :rolleyes:

Here's mine, in a similar pose! - however the "relic-ing" has been done over 48 years.

[attachment=28398:61PBass1.jpg]

[attachment=28400:61PBass3.jpg]

[attachment=28399:61PBasss2.jpg]

[attachment=28401:61PBass4.jpg]

Hope you like.

Herbie Flowers...what a guy....

"Hey Babe Let's Walk on Wild Side" :)

[quote]It's Clarky's fault[/quote]

[attachment=28402:alien_screenshot.jpg]

Edit: I keep thinking about a Fender Pino but I would have to sell one of the kids into slavery to pay for it!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='534386' date='Jul 7 2009, 07:46 AM']Herbie Rules! I'm not a great fan of the relic concept unless you did a DIY job over the course of 30 years or so.
That'd make it a [i]real[/i] relic, but I do quite like that.[/quote]

I tend to look at the relicing in the same way someone might look at a pair of stonewashed jeans. Its all cosmetic effect and Allan doesn't wear the basses so they pass inspection as a vintage instrument, he does it so they're more comfortable. So some of his basses have non-vintage features that a collector would spot immediately because they're there to help playability. BTW, no Fender logos either and he's happy to fit great sounding pickups like lollars.

BTW, here's Herbie giving me a few pointers on the bass in question...

[attachment=28475:herbie_flowers1.jpg]