Why become a member? ×

SOLD! ARIA SB-R80 For Sale SOLD!

Mike Brooks

[attachment=28374:DSCF1367.JPG] [attachment=28370:Aria_Bod...Controls.jpg] [attachment=28373:DSCF1121.JPG] [attachment=28371:DSCF1139.JPG]

Having bought this for a specific project that didn't get off the ground, it's about time I moved this on, hopefully to someone who can make good use of it. This is an original Aria SB-R80 although the tuners have been changed for a relatively new set of Wilkinsons, this was done before I bought it. The pickup screws were also replaced two years ago as the old ones were knackered and either missing or totally useless.

Condition-wise, it's been passed from pillar to post as far as I could ascertain from the guy I bought it from and has the scars to prove it but it plays great for a bass of this age. The action is good and was restrung recently, I did a setup on it about 8 months ago and gave it a good spruce up. I considered having it resprayed a few years ago but those fine chaps at The Gallery advised me not to as Aria collectors like their basses as original as possible. It sustains very well but the Aria Super Basses always did!

Looking for £250, gigbag included. Would prefer not to ship this so anyone in the London area is welcome to come and check it out or arrange a meet up in London if that suits. Alternatively, I travel all over the UK for gigs so may be able to meet somewhere convenient. Not looking for trades, just cash.

PM me any questions. I have more pics if required and some close ups of the various battlescars.

Cheers,
Mike

Edited by Mike Brooks

That is one fantastis bass - I had a SBR60 til a few months ago and I loved it, only sold it cos I have too many basses :)

Doesnt look in that bad a condition to me at all either and that price it's a steal if all the electrics are working fine.

Best of luck

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='534220' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:19 PM']That is one fantastis bass - I had a SBR60 til a few months ago and I loved it, only sold it cos I have too many basses :)

Doesnt look in that bad a condition to me at all either and that price it's a steal if all the electrics are working fine.

Best of luck

BB[/quote]

Cheers, the electrics are all working fine, bearing in mind this is a passive bass. Everything works as it should.

Mike

John, you have a PM.

Agewise, I don't know if the serial number allows you date them but I remember John Taylor using one for an Italian TV show on the Sing Blue Silver video so that dates the R-80s to early 1984 at least so I would imagine this is an early-mid 80s model. If you can shed some light using the serial number, let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

Curse my skintness - that's a great price for a gorgeous Matsumoku through-neck. Lovely!

You can date these by serial - find out how [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/serial_no.html"]here[/url]

Jon.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='534290' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:22 PM']I had a cherry SB-R80 in the 80s and loved it. It's previous owner was Tony Butler of Big Country.

Still want to whack myself every now and again for selling it.[/quote]

Tony is one of my favourite players, I bet that was a bass with some magic in it...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='535008' date='Jul 7 2009, 06:43 PM']Tony is one of my favourite players, I bet that was a bass with some magic in it...[/quote]
Yeah, I loved it, but traded it against a Yamaha BB1100S (got giddy cos it was active).

Loved both those basses actually, wish I still had them both.

The SB-R80 wasn't Tony's main bass obviously, but I did used to have a photo in a bass mag of him playing it.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='534698' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:23 PM']Ahhh.. the year I started playing bass.

I used to own an SB900. Aria has some fantastic basses in their range.[/quote]

Actually mate, sorry to be pedantic, it was an SB Elite II :) . You sold it to me the day after I got together with my girlfriend, so has much emotional value...

Still got it. Love it! Pickups are starting to die, but apparently you can get them rewound.

The passive circuitry on these is outstanding. I thought mine was active until I took the back cover off. And the construction is incredible. It's a poor man's Alembic - and this is a fantatic deal. I reckon in five or ten years' time they'll be seriously collectable.