Why become a member? ×

Markbass Combo Settings - Help!

spongebob

I recently bought a Markbass 121P, the 300w 12" combo.

It's twice the power of my old Trace (on paper), and sounds fab.

However.....a couple of times, using it even only for pub gigs, I have struggled to get as much power as I expected.

Last night, I had the volume on 3/4, everything else pretty much at 12 o'clock except for the VPF at 3 o'clock, and the VLF set at about 1/4 high.

I'm really no expert, so would appreciate any help on how to get the best sound and power from it!

Last night I was using my Fender Jazz Geddy, but my sound lacked any bottom end, and just got totally lost in the mix. I like the clang, of course, but a bit of bass would be good! :)

I'm playing again this afternoon, so any ideas will be tried with immediate effect!! :rolleyes:

Try placing your combo in a solid wall corner, that should help with your lack of lowend.

Still, dont expect miracles from a single 12" speaker, specially if you play at loud volumes.

VPF at 3 o'clock is way too much IME. That is dampening mid frequencies a lot, precisely the kind of frequencies that combo can reproduce efficiently. My VPF is always at 7 o'clock (thats completely off). Also, getting lost in the mix as you said usually happens when your bass is lacking mid frequencies badly. Thats were you usually find definition in the bass tone.

Edited by Fraktal

the thing is that maybe because you put the combo on the floor you dont listen to it to much and you dont feel it as it should.. Maybe if you put it on a chair or get the little stand [url="http://www.thomann.de/gr/markbass_mark_stand.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gr/markbass_mark_stand.htm[/url] you get what you want

Try something else in the soundcheck take everyting flat and then increase the eq. Leave the filtres at the end

if that dosent work which i think it will because i have the same problem i want to listern the bass more than anything else near to my amp...
if you not sort this out take an extra cabin

New york 121
or a traveler 210 (i think is better)

[quote name='spongebob' post='532795' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:09 AM']Last night I was using my Fender Jazz Geddy........[/quote]
So you bought one then?
To quote Spongebob (the real one!) - "Whaddya think"? :)

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Fraktal' post='533108' date='Jul 5 2009, 04:12 PM']VPF at 3 o'clock is way too much IME. That is dampening mid frequencies a lot, precisely the kind of frequencies that combo can reproduce efficiently.[/quote]

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='533151' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:11 PM']Maybe if you put it on a chair or get the little stand [url="http://www.thomann.de/gr/markbass_mark_stand.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gr/markbass_mark_stand.htm[/url] you get what you want[/quote]

Following the above advice will make a huge difference. Bottom line, and at the end of the day (trying to think of some more cliches here), although it's Markbass, it's still only a 12" speaker in a small cab, don't expect too much.

[quote name='RhysP' post='533180' date='Jul 5 2009, 06:02 PM']So you bought one then?
To quote Spongebob (the real one!) - "Whaddya think"? :)[/quote]

I totally love it. Feels great, brilliant tone, a really useable bass.

It actually has made me re-think my entire view of Fenders. I've always been a Ric man, but TBH I am starting to feel like I've been cheated!

Playing the Ged has a) made playing much easier, and :rolleyes: I can't believe it's soooooo good at that price.

It just proves that brand snobbery is not always a good thing!

Back to the amp.............

I played last night (before I read the above), had a bit of a fiddle and it did sound better.

The amp was on the floor - on Saturday, when I was drowned out, I was on top of the guitarists Marshall. I assume that stacking the amps together wouldn't have helped much either?

• 2 weeks later...

try runnig the EQ flat, and put the filters both at 9.00. Then possible reduce one or both of the mid controls or increase the VPF filter, if you like a bit more mid scoop.

But the small combo will have limitations (I have one and use a2*10, at whcih point it is a monster).

Edit - the only time I use my combo alone is in a large function band, where the onstage monitoring is big. I just tilt it back, and it is my monitor, with huge PA doign th ework.

C

Edited by nottswarwick

Can't help really but I borrowed a 2x10 combo last night...ran both the bass and amp flat and just twiddled one of the filters to about 11' o'clock... the one on the left ....and got a bollocking sound..
I spent so little time on the sound I can't really tell you much about the amp...just that I will want one..
I will be looking to buy one pretty dam soon...

I have VPF set to 12 o'clock, used to be around 3 but I found it too harsh...It only cuts the nasty mids, those horrible shoebox ones, much like Trace Elliot Pre-Shape does, so you still cut through...In fact I cut through more!
But this was with an SD800 and a Trace Elliot 1048H, plainly because the Markbass 4x10 stuggled to take the head.
Not sure how this applies to a 12" but I'm sure the VPF isn't harming you.

Also, as I have found, wattage is not guarentee of power. Trace Elliot amps has some serious power!
I'm using an AH1000-12 now because I couldn't afford to actually buy the SD800 I borrowed and I wanted to match my cab as I love TE but that head was powerful as hell!

I love the MB heads...But the cabs not as much...there not dire, just don't seem to cope with as much as my TE gear does.

PS

As it's only a small combo, why not get one of those Markbass stands and have it tilted at an angle?
If it was on the floor then only your feet would enjoy it. :)
I always take a milk crate with me to put my 4x10 on, you should consider the same.

Edited by Kongo

I use a markbass 2x10 with US Jazz bass and really like the fundamental sound of everything in the middle most of the time.
I tend not to bother with the filters and have most of the controls at 12o/c, sometimes with bass at 1-2o/c for a bit more bottom.
The scooped VPF is nice and fun for slapping but doesn't always cut through live. Never really found much use for the VLE filter.
Boosting the low mid really helps cut through on stage especially with a bit of jazz bass growl.

I probably alter my tone more via pickup balance and hand position than twiddling amp knobs.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='542979' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:10 AM']try runnig the EQ flat, and put the filters both at 9.00. Then possible reduce one or both of the mid controls or increase the VPF filter, if you like a bit more mid scoop.

But the small combo will have limitations (I have one and use a2*10, at whcih point it is a monster).

Edit - the only time I use my combo alone is in a large function band, where the onstage monitoring is big. I just tilt it back, and it is my monitor, with huge PA doign th ework.

C[/quote]

I'm going to try this at tomorrow's rehearsal.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='542979' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:10 AM']try runnig the EQ flat, and put the filters both at 9.00. Then possible reduce one or both of the mid controls or increase the VPF filter, if you like a bit more mid scoop.

C[/quote]

+1 to what Mr Pidgeon said!

I use the 3x10 combo and love it. Since I have had the Overwater I tend to let the bass do the work, keep the EQ flat and the Filters between 7 and 9. When I used the Yamaha, the VPF was off completely and a slight tweek to the high-mid setting to get it to cut through. I have to echo everyone though in that a single 12" is never going to cut in aloud band situation. The 3x10 does it quote well, but I gigged before with a 2x10 and couldn't hear a thing, even with the same EQ settings.

Shep