Why become a member? ×

Makin' a music video for Youtube

Faithless

So, I'm quite interested in making an active Youtube music vids' channel, doing playalongs and stuff, but..

I'm not sure what [b]tools [/b]I need for making a decent [i]sounding[/i]/[i]looking [/i]video, so, I thought, you, guys, could give some advice over there..

First of all, it's clear, that I need web camera, right? :rolleyes:

Then, recording device - I've got Line6 POD XT Live, so as I assume, it also works as a sound-card in computer, right?

What else do I need here?

Secondly, I'm not sure, how to do all the work - Ped advised me to [i]do [/i]the video part, but cut the audio track out, and record other one separately, and put video and audio stuff together.. Got it? I've tried it this way, but I've struggled to find a decent programme, that could do a job - to put audio and video together..

In other words, I'm not sure, how [i]making-a-good-sounding-video[/i] process works :)

So, I'm waiting for your advices over there..

Sorry, if this wasn't very clear,
Just let me know it,

All the best,
Faith.

I'm really interested in this too. I have half a dozen playalongs recorded onto dv tape, and have subsequently transferred them onto dvd. They were recorded with just a good quality video camera (something which just a few years ago would have been regarded as "professional" equipment), and it's built in mic. The picture quality is excellent, and the sound quality is very good. But the files are massive! And I have no idea how to upload them, or what I'd have to do to them first.

Sorry I can't contribute anything positive here.

Wattabout uploading - it's very simple - just log on Youtube, and click 'Upload' - that's the whole trick...

And you can upload files even up to 2gb now!

Otherwise, you can always change your vids' format, into 'smaller', but not that 'detailed' one :)

Hope, this helps,
Faith.

P.S. I'm thinking of putting this whole question to Geneneral Discussion, as no-one seems to be interested here..

[quote name='Faithless' post='530294' date='Jul 2 2009, 09:52 AM']I'm thinking of putting this whole question to Geneneral Discussion, as no-one seems to be interested here..[/quote]

It would probably get a better level of response. This sub-forum is sort of about (1) how to fix your amp or bass (2) stuff like 'what sort of capacitor should I use for a treble-bleed'.

You might also wish to try 'Recording' - quite good for this sort of question :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Hey - I'll give you a quick idea of how I do it - or used to do it, basically I got a half decent handycam - an old Sony one with a good built in mic and then when I decided I wanted to film something I filmed it. Very straight forward but remember a couple of basic things, firstly get the camera angle right - unless you have someone helping out you'll need to work on positioning a camera, one a tripod, and then finding an angle that captures your performance best. Think what you want to show in the video - more from a finger picking point of view or with more emphasis on the finger board? Or do you want your head to be in shot or not? The next most important thing is the sound quality, and this is the really tricky part - if you are using the built in mic on the camera then do some tests to see if your levels are good enough, bass too loud backing music/beat too quiet or vice versa? Then adjust the levels before you film anything.

I finally upgraded my camera to a Sony HD handycam that also films things in widescreen too as my old Sony was starting play up (but then again it is 8 years old and served me very well) and I've also recently started recording the sound to my videos separately and it's made a vast improvement on my earlier vids. So I now have HD images and high quality sound. But unless you can take a direct feed from your amp and send it straight into the camera (I'm not even sure most video camcorders will allow this, pro ones will but they cost £1000++) then you'll need to run the audio signal into something like Garageband/Logic/Cubase etc. I use Logic Studio Pro which has a great function that allows you to import a movie and then bounce the sound from the audio clip onto the movie - but the hard bit here is syncing the sound and picture, hence I use a four bar count in on a metronome to line the two up. I also edit the movie footage in iMovie on the Mac, but I guess you could get just as good results with Windows media player - though iMovie is so simple it really is a killer app (as they say!). I also love the way you can now export from iMovie 9 straight to Youtube, it lets you log in to your account and 10 minutes later the movie is online and encoded properly.

Let me know if you have any more questions - I've started learning how to use Final Cut pro but that's a whole other world of pain... :) it's all a bit trial and error but if you can get it all working together the end result can ber very satisfying - [url="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ijazzmunki"]you can see some of vids here.[/url]

Cheers

Mike

Yeah when I recorded my lil youtube vid we set up a camera, played the sound direct to desk which was being recorded on Digital Performer (but you could use anything)

When we finished we grabbed the video and the audio as two separate streams and synced them together in iMovie (but you could just as easily do it in Windows Movie Maker). Mike's idea of a 4 bar count to aid syncing is good, wish I thought of that because it took a bit of luck getting it spot on.

It worked really well and we didn't have to rely on the quality of the mic on the camera and/or acoustics etc.

Let us know how you get on. I plan on doing a couple myself now that I have a new computer based recording package.

Cheers
ped

If you're recording the audio separately then anything along the lines of Audacity, Sonar or probably even the software that comes with the pod will do it nicely.

On the video recording/editing/importing audio side, wish I could help more - but the only good video software I've used was Adobe Premiere. Guessing you didn't want to spend that kind of money though.

I have to say that a mac laptop DOES make it easy, as you get free webcam, recording software and movie editing software. I can’t comment on PC’s equivalents as I only have macs myself.

I agree that it’s a really good idea to process the sound separately. Poor sound quality is a big turn off for me with YouTube, and I rarely last more than about 20 seconds with crap sound. I record the sound at the same time as I do the video and just splice them together afterwards. Having said that, Youtube compression knackers up the sound quality anyway.

It’s also a really good idea to make it worth watching. If you are playing an instrument lets see what your hands are doing! Many on YouTube are crap lighting, appalling positioning of the camera, basically nothing worth actually looking at.

If you are going to post on YouTube, be prepared that you might do something brilliant and only two people and a dog will see it. It’s not all that easy getting it viewed! I saw a brilliant guitar video the other day with pathetic viewing figures, it’s a shame when something is so good.

Finally, you need tough skin. There are many jerks out there who will write all kinds of crap over your hard work! You can delete bad comments but I mostly leave them in as people are entitled to an opinion! I think that the key is don’t get into a big war with someone.

I have a few clips up (check my signature) and all I do is stick a camcorder in front of me, put the CD into the CD player, plug the bass in, turn the amp on, set the volumes on the CD and amp and press record. Then finalise the disc, open it in Windows Movie Maker, add title and end credits, save and upload to Youtube. The bit that takes the longest is the Youtube upload.

Thats it really. OK, not the best method but the quality seems good enough.