Why become a member? ×

String height / action - I've learned a valuable lesson!

wateroftyne

Medium action for me with medium strength finger playing. Both Fenders are set with 4mm on 12th fret of E string. I find medium to give just the right amount of tone without the strings clanking on the frets. Also lowing the pickups really helped to even out the volume and tone.

We are all different...................find out what works for you.

Edited by voxpop

I'm guessing this thread has got a lot of people squinting over rulers!

Just measured my 70RI and its 3.5mm at 12th fret on the E (rising to 4mm at heel) and 3mm on the G. Thats about as high as I am comfortable with (my Shuker JJB is about 1mm lower all round)

This is interesting.
Since evolving to mostly fingers from mostly pick (a side effect of gigging the EUB) I've noticed this barking thiung rather a lot. So the action's going up.
I'm guessing this is pimarily a bridge height change rather than a truss rod change?

[quote name='OldGit' post='529346' date='Jul 1 2009, 09:14 AM']This is interesting.
Since evolving to mostly fingers from mostly pick (a side effect of gigging the EUB) I've noticed this barking thiung rather a lot. So the action's going up.
I'm guessing this is pimarily a bridge height change rather than a truss rod change?[/quote]
It was for me, on all of my basses. No truss tweak neccessary.

Seriously, I was amazed at the difference when the barking was taken out of the equation. You still get 'pleasing' string noise, but the notes are so fat and rich.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='529366' date='Jul 1 2009, 09:39 AM']For me - top of the fret to the bottom of the string.[/quote]
Likewise - in a booklet I got with my old Fender P thats how it recommended measuring string height

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='529564' date='Jul 1 2009, 01:40 PM']Which fret? If you measure at the last fret, you can't compare between basses with different numbers of frets. And as for fretlesses... :)[/quote]

The 12th and at the last fret...

If it sits in the mix ok, then fine...but sometimes a clankly bass can sound crap... and just too rough and ready for me.

If it doesn't sound good as a standalone, then it isn't played well enough, IMHO..

Just my 2p...

[quote name='Machines' post='529851' date='Jul 1 2009, 06:55 PM']I was going to measure mine (action not anything rude !) then realised I don't have a ruler.

:wacko:[/quote]

Hello Mr. Mosheens!

Have you got a printer and a pair of scissors?

Sorted!

[quote name='Jase' post='528477' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:34 AM']I'm a low action type, no man rock set ups for me thank you very much! I can't be dealing with clambering over and around my strings and fretboard if I have a high action set up...gets a bit noisy though when a band wants to tune down to the dreaded semi-tone below. I love having girl action :)[/quote]

Me too; both sorts! :rolleyes:

Sei Melt; 2mm at 12th across the board. Sei Flamboyant 5; 2mm B string going to just under 2mm on the G, both at the 12th. '72 Ric 4001; 2.5mm at the 12th E to just under 2 (call it 1&3/4) on the G. Bear in mind I consider the action on my Ric quite high. :lol: In fact I might see if I can get the Melt's action down a bit based on that....

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='529901' date='Jul 1 2009, 07:49 PM']Me too; both sorts! :)

Sei Melt; 2mm at 12th across the board. Sei Flamboyant 5; 2mm B string going to just under 2mm on the G, both at the 12th. '72 Ric 4001; 2.5mm at the 12th E to just under 2 (call it 1&3/4) on the G. Bear in mind I consider the action on my Ric quite high. :rolleyes: In fact I might see if I can get the Melt's action down a bit based on that....[/quote]

All in favour of 2 mm or 2.5 mm.........\m/

[quote name='JTUK' post='529840' date='Jul 1 2009, 06:40 PM']If it sits in the mix ok, then fine...but sometimes a clankly bass can sound crap... and just too rough and ready for me.

If it doesn't sound good as a standalone, then it isn't played well enough, IMHO..

Just my 2p...[/quote]

A bit of clunk and clank, some buzz, bark and growl all add the the character of it's tone for me. :)

Just my 2mm worth :ph34r:

[quote name='Jase' post='529909' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:10 PM']A bit of clunk and clank, some buzz, bark and growl all add the the character of it's tone for me. :)

Just my 2mm worth :ph34r:[/quote]
Strangely, I think the clunk, clank buzz and bark were drowning out the my growl. Now I've got loads of it..

Horses fer courses, though!