Why become a member? ×

Time For An Upgrade....

bigevilman

Hey Guys

Been a watcher of this forum for quite a while now, but never got round to registering until today, as a bit of advice is needed.

I'm looking to upgrade my MIM standard Jazz bass. I've toyed with the idea of just purchasing a american series, but I'd rather get a more customised sound.

At present, I play in two quite different bands:-

The first is a Blues-rock band, mainly covering Hendrix, Santana, Cream etc. I play most of this with my fingers, although occasionally, I'll use a pick to get a different sound from the strings.

The second is a original female fronted pop-punk band. Similar to bands such as The Starting Line & Rufio, I play with a pick exclusively.

What I'm after upgrading are the pickups and the bridge. The bridge has given me endless trouble, with the saddles lowering themselves regularly. This is especially annoying when I sometimes have to adjust them mid-gig. Many other bassists I have chatted to recommend the Badass II bridge, but I haven't seen many alternatives on the market.

The pickups, I'm still quite happy with, but it would be nice to get a warmer sound from them.

Any suggestions for both of them?

Cheers
Joe

An alternative to a new bridge would be to put a little Loctite Blue on the saddle height adjustment screws or even a little wood glue. Badass II bridges are Extremely easy to install, five screws, setting height and intonation is also straight forward (if you have experience with setup's, or would like to learn this is a good resource, [url="http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php"]http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php[/url] or you can have a tech do it). It's all your choice, there many great units out there as others have stated. Pickups can make one of the biggest differences in your tone. Do you want a vintage sounding tone [(warm lows, puncy low mids, nice smooth hi's) or a more modern tone (big low end, mids scooped a bit, Hi-fi hi's) these are generalizations]? Determine the tone your looking for then start from there.

I can vouch for the wizards vintage J pickups (the 64s). Very nice pups, very 'vintage'!. Talk to Andy at Wizard with your requirements. Nordstrand have a great reputation as well.

A East retro is a strange beast. In passive, the pickup blend does not work, and the pickups are selected using a switch. You can always use it in active mode but flat to be able to blend (but then, what's the point!). You'll need the deluxe version to blend in passive. Audere does nice pres as well. The ACG is a wild beast and will shape your sound like no other.

I'd go with a nice set of vintage sounding pickups, with a bigger custom bridge, no active preamp. If you need some dirt for your punk rock band, I'd look for a second-hand sansamp, or sadowsky outboard (both are quite expensive), or equivalent.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

I wouldn't bother with an onboard pre-amp. Unless you're forever tweaking your sound as you play the tone controls on your amp should do a more then adequate job.

Probably just about any bridge from a reputable manufacturer will perform mechanically better than the one you have at the moment. Hi-mass bridges like the Badass will change the sound of your bass and it might not be in a way that you like. If the only problem is the poor construction go for a similar design but better made version.

Pickups - the quest for the right combination of bass and pickups can be never ending, and only you will know when you've got it right. I'd start by talking to either Wizard or bare Knuckles.

I'm with the others - a tweaked bass turns a good instrument into a great instrument that is customised for your tastes. Just don't expect to make your money back if selling it on in a few years. I'm quite traditional (which always fits a number of styles) so a Fender hi mass vintage bridge & some retro spec (Seymour Duncan) pickups more than does me.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='527433' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:00 AM']I can vouch for the wizards vintage J pickups (the 64s). Very nice pups, very 'vintage'!. Talk to Andy at Wizard with your requirements. Nordstrand have a great reputation as well.

A East retro is a strange beast. In passive, the pickup blend does not work, and the pickups are selected using a switch. You can always use it in active mode but flat to be able to blend (but then, what's the point!). You'll need the deluxe version to blend in passive. Audere does nice pres as well. The ACG is a wild beast and will shape your sound like no other.

I'd go with a nice set of vintage sounding pickups, with a bigger custom bridge, no active preamp. If you need some dirt for your punk rock band, I'd look for a second-hand sansamp, or sadowsky outboard (both are quite expensive), or equivalent.[/quote]

Aye I've heard a lot of good things about Wizard pickups. Didn't Andy at Wizard work for Ken Armstrong?

I don't think I'll go as far to get a pre-amp for it. I'd rather invest in a Sansamp bass driver to be honest so I have the option of using it.

Good shout, the sansamp. I use a programable bass driver with 3 settings on it and it gives me all the tones I need. I use the amp and plug it into the effects return loop and bypass the amps tone controls. Sometimes I use it just to fatten up the sound, other times if I need a load of treble, it`s there at a kick of a switch. Crackin piece of kit.

Jez

+1 for Gotoh bridges I have one on my Jazz it's much better then the standard one.

I have Delano pick-ups installed that I really like, warm and punchy. they have big single pole pieces so no good if you want to keep the traditional look though.

R.