Why become a member? ×

What Onboard Pre-amp ?

Marcus

Don't really know as I am out of date with pre-amps but I am generally not a fan of twin or triple coils ...

all they seem to do is muddy up the tone in the guise of a more powerfuil output..

I have Bartolinis and I run them single all the time for that very reason...

just my 2p.............

[quote name='Marcus' post='525163' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:49 PM']Hi Guys,

considering the spec for my custom build "Birthday Bass"

I'd like to have the Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups installed but looking for some ideas for a suitable pre-amp

Advice welcome.....

ATB

Mark[/quote]

The ACG02 is a superb piece of kit as is the U-Retro. Both very different and equally good on my Spectors. No experience of either on passive pups though.

Is that a magic 40th birthday pressie? :)

[quote name='Sean' post='525306' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:46 PM']The ACG02 is a superb piece of kit as is the U-Retro. Both very different and equally good on my Spectors. No experience of either on passive pups though.

Is that a magic 40th birthday pressie? :)[/quote]

Yes that's the one......

which Nordy p/ups are you considering, I think there are a few types of dual coils, fat stacks being one?

I want to replace my Bart's with Nords once I get some cash

Currently have a bart pre which is OK, but have two coil tap switches which I'm always knocking out of position, gonna do away with the CT's

I was considering the audere with the 6 way pot

Tony

[quote name='Marcus' post='525163' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:49 PM']Hi Guys,

considering the spec for my custom build "Birthday Bass"

I'd like to have the Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups installed but looking for some ideas for a suitable pre-amp

Advice welcome.....

ATB

Mark[/quote]

Why have you chosen Nordstrand?

I'm going to stick some Nordies in my Sei Jazz in the next few weeks (and get the Barts out - 'not a fan). I was thinking of putting an Audere pre in at the same time - Nordstrand seems to use either an Audere or his own pre (or nothing) to pair with his pickups. Depending on what you're looking for tone-wise, Mike Pope may be worth a look at (and I suspect you'll have some experience here).

[quote name='lozbass' post='525900' date='Jun 27 2009, 01:12 PM']I'm going to stick some Nordies in my Sei Jazz in the next few weeks (and get the Barts out - 'not a fan). I was thinking of putting an Audere pre in at the same time - Nordstrand seems to use either an Audere or his own pre (or nothing) to pair with his pickups. Depending on what you're looking for tone-wise, Mike Pope may be worth a look at (and I suspect you'll have some experience here).[/quote]

We need to discuss this further, this is exactly the route I am going!

Out with the barts!

Tony

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='525828' date='Jun 27 2009, 11:50 AM']Why have you chosen Nordstrand?[/quote]

Good question.......

I like what i've read about them and i've never had them in a bass..... I like the "double Jazz bass" configuration of the Dual coils and their physical size, both for appearance and for playing over.

Also..... they're reassuringly expensive and i'm a Bass Snob !!

Well....... it is my Birthday !!

Thanks for the Advice so far guys....... please keep the comments coming

ATM.... i'm leaning towards the East pre

ATB
Mark

Just to clarify my single v double comment above.

I recall Kent Armstrong winding me some pickups and the best results ..by far...were always from the lesser winds

Sure, you could go silly and do multiple multiple winds but all you ended up with was a BIG sound. They had much less character than the singles hence my preference.
And at that time, I believe he was making pickups for many makers, inc certain Fenders and some of the more exotic pickup names.
I am sure he was doing Ken Smith as well... but may be mistaken

As with all these things, I am sure there are some quality pickups, but I would want to hear them in a decent context...
Other variables in the tone chain are the combination of woods, pre-amp etc etc..and you never quite know how it will all turn out until you plug it in..
Daunting and exciting...but if the build is quality then all you have to do is adapt a decent tone with the pre-amp.. IMV
and panic over... :)

Edited by JTUK