Why become a member? ×

Computers and Magnets

WarPig

I should really know this....but....

If i put my 1x15 cab next to my pc's base unit will the magnet in the speaker do any damage to the base unit?

Id say the hard drive would be about 10 inches max away from the speaker magnet.

Yes - the computer is probably ok. There's lots of metal shielding in the casing and then also in the casing of the drive itself.

I remember putting a 4x12 Marshall cab in the living room next to the TV for a week. When I turned the TV on all the colours were "dragged" towards the cabinet ! Fortunately there was no lasting effect. It was the older deep backed "cathode ray tube" type TV and I think the speaker magnets must have been deflecting the scanning eam !

I remember having a couple of Ashdown ABM115s in a room behind the living room so that they were on the other side of the wall where the TV was.

Because they were directly behind, the picture starting slowly rotating over the space of a couple of days.

I have my Schroeder cab in the same place and have a media center PC and an external had drive below my current TV and have never noticed anything.

Maybe if you had one of those huge speakers that Marty used a the start of Back to the Future you may have some issues.

Edited by Delberthot

afaik metal shielding offers almost no protection against magnetic fields of the frequency that will be produced by a bass cab, unless you're using a special material like permalloy...

just a bit of physics for a saturday morning :)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='525800' date='Jun 27 2009, 11:10 AM']afaik metal shielding offers almost no protection against magnetic fields of the frequency that will be produced by a bass cab, unless you're using a special material like permalloy...[/quote]
I'm moving my sh*t in case you're right... :)

I used to work with someone who had a collection of fridge magnets on the side of his PC.

As I was the IT admin at the time, as soon as I notice this I pointed out to him that it *may* not be the best place to keep them and he totally shot me down in flames insisting that there's no way it could harm anything as they were only fridge magnets and the PC had very solid steel sides.

A couple of weeks later he came whining to me that his PC is acting up and it looked like his hard drive was corrupted. Of course there's no way of knowing what actually caused the issue, but I told him there wasn't anything I could do beyond a reformat and reinstall do as some numpty had stuck magnets to it.