Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Songs

JBassist

I like the break on i want eyes,in the pursuit of accidents is a good album,people slate them and say its not funky i dont think this is true as i could say this about other funk bands.I like funkadelic but not much of there stuff,really gets me going. Level 42 wrote some good pop songs get the rock palast live dvd its awesome.

I'm a big fan..... some of the lyrics that King comes up with are a bit cringeworthy but I can live with that..... The early tapes is a good place to start... I still love the World Machine and Forever Now albums.... some great production and great bass playing.

"Foundation and Empire", "The Return Of The Handsome Man Rugged Man".
Solo Mark King works; "There Is A Dog".

[url="http://www.last.fm/music/Mark+King/_/There+Is+a+Dog"]http://www.last.fm/music/Mark+King/_/There+Is+a+Dog[/url]

Edited by steve-soar

The early stuff they did still stands out as great music, Sandstorm being one of my alltime faves! On saying that, there are some great songs on the bigger selling albums, such as The Sleepwalkers etc etc. They did some weak stuff too though, but that can be said of any big act. Overall I was a massive fan, still like to get me Alembic out and have a play along now and again!

"Theme to Margaret" & "88" from "Early Tapes" are great, as is "Foundation & Empire" (12" B side I think).
"World Machine" is a great album(their best IMO), as is the "Early Tapes".
Some great stuff on "Level 42" & the "Pursuit of accidents" but there's some real dross on them too (let's not mention "Starchild", eh?).
The 12" of "Hot water" is great for giving your Hi-fi a high volume work out.
"Can't walk you home" is pretty good (B side of "The sun goes down" I think)
(It's a LONG time since I sold the Jaydee & listened to any of this stuff).

[quote name='steve-soar' post='522118' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:16 PM']I remember your goodbyes and the late Dec....... :rolleyes:[/quote]

.....ember skies, seems so long ago... :)

Next line anyone??

My fave MK fingerstyle lines: True Believers and My Hero (off True Colours) and Romance (off Forever Now).

What with all that slapping malarkey, people seem to overlook MK's awesome finger-style grooving. Sweet!!! :lol:

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='522140' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:33 PM'].....ember skies, seems so long ago... :)

Next line anyone??[/quote]
"You were standing on the quay, and you blew a kiss to me,
I was sad to go....."
:blush:

Level 42 are without a doubt one of my favourite ever Bands, Their first 2 Albums are a big reason why I play Bass.

If I had to name one track it would be True Believers, best Status sound i've ever heard - Iconic (IMHO)

....I do believe Capatain Bassman's avatar is my old Jaydee 25th Anniversary !!

Hi guys
was a massive fan, growing up and my faves are "hours by the window" from true colours( beautiful chordal work) "the sun goes down" and kansas city milkman" bloody hell not a slap lines in sight :) his fingerstyle and chordal playing is exceptional and he,s not known for it, love him a big influence!!!

[quote name='crez5150' post='522111' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:11 PM']The Sunbed Song.... they do a very funky live version.....[/quote]
+1, i'm fortunate enough to do a lot of work with level 42 and i always enjoy it when they play the sunbed song
Hot water is also a fave, as is Sleep Talking and Chinese Way.
Lessons in love will give your galloping thumb a work out...

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='Marcus' post='522190' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:21 PM']....I do believe Capatain Bassman's avatar is my old Jaydee 25th Anniversary !![/quote]

No sir, 'tis all mine!! JD built it for me last year - check the recent Pangborn thread for pics.

The 25th Anniveresary GA24 was the main inspiration for it tho! :)

[quote name='Josh' post='522114' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:14 PM']Out of Sight, Out of Mind.[/quote]

...out of earshot would be be preferable! :)
Sorry but not a fan. Can't get past his nasally little voice and appalling lyrics (IMO)
To be fair I do have one of their many double live albums, bought from a local charity shop, and always thought it would be nice to play Mr Pink!

Happy tripleting! and then some!

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='522290' date='Jun 24 2009, 07:36 AM']...out of earshot would be be preferable! :)
Sorry but not a fan. Can't get past his nasally little voice and appalling lyrics (IMO)
To be fair I do have one of their many double live albums, bought from a local charity shop, and always thought it would be nice to play Mr Pink!

Happy tripleting! and then some!

BB[/quote]

I only really like it because it's nigh on the same as "I Keep Forgetting" by Michael McDonald.

I'd admit that a lot of the Level 42 lyrics are pretty woeful, but no more than 90% of lyrics in general IMO.
Some of the very worst songs & lyrics I've ever heard are on the Stanley Clarke albums. He's a great player but most of his songs are bloody awful - I can't listen to them anymore because they just make me cringe.

Whilst talking about L42, i had a funny moment when i used to own a Sony Ericsson phone, and one of it's factory in-built ringtones WAS the leaving me now piano outro (which is very pretty!).
Not just a similar tune, it WAS the tune!
It made me laugh when i heard it on there...

[quote name='RhysP' post='522370' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:01 AM']Some of the very worst songs & lyrics I've ever heard are on the Stanley Clarke albums. He's a great player but most of his songs are bloody awful - I can't listen to them anymore because they just make me cringe.[/quote]

Weee Supply all your Funky neeeedssssss! (Barf)

[quote name='RhysP' post='522370' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:01 AM']I'd admit that a lot of the Level 42 lyrics are pretty woeful, but no more than 90% of lyrics in general IMO.
Some of the very worst songs & lyrics I've ever heard are on the Stanley Clarke albums. He's a great player but most of his songs are bloody awful - I can't listen to them anymore because they just make me cringe.[/quote]

It's the same with Victor Wooten - with each album he seems to sing more and more and he really shouldn't.

Stu