Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot fans: Twin Valve Combo??

fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' post='522055' date='Jun 23 2009, 09:10 PM']A mate just picked one up and knows nothing about it:

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41457"]http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41457[/url]

Anyone got any ideas of value / history etc?

ta[/quote]

I had Twin Valve head until recently. 115W, I believe a solid state input with valve power stage, good sound, fairly rare. Value depends on who's after one at the time; they can be a bit difficult to shift. The combo is a bit of a beast for it's size weightwise, but definitely quality. Some people swear by the TE valve gear, and it's easy to see why.

Edited by 4000

I've got one of the heads, '91 vintage (being one of the 99% or so BC-ers who've bought gear off Shockwave.....) - fantastic little amp; amazingly compact and portable for a valve amp, very funky stainless-steel case. I thought it was all-valve with just the graphic EQ being solid-state - there are certainly a couple of small pre-amp valves in there - but could be wrong. Haven't yet found another amp that makes my fretless basses sound so beautifully buttery as the TV, and the pre-shape is instant '80's, but I barely use it now TBH as I either DI or use a big back-line. I've got the schematics on a pdf in the house, I'll post them tonight.

[i]Edit[/i] - attached - hope it works
I want a Quatra! :)

Edited by Shaggy

I had one years ago and it was a nice amp...never a fan of the Trace 7 band graphic though and sold it.. altho I would like to have one now just for small gigs..Can't recall it being really heavy and it would fit in my boot fine now, tho...

I thought it had a valve stage in the pre-amp as well..otherwise what would be the point, IMV..??

I like a valve in the pre-amp stage as it just warms things up a bit, I think.......

Could indeed have some valves in the preamp. I know part of the front end was ss; quite possibly the graphic. Mine didn't sound as good for me as my Ashdown except with my 4001CS. For some reason that sounded much better through the Twin Valve (haven't got either now).

[quote name='Waldo' post='528148' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:31 PM']Pfft, real men want a hexa!

[/quote]

Oh yessssssssss! Ever compared it to a V6, sound-wise? I find my Twin has a nicer tone to my V-type pre/QSC power rig in a way I can't really describe, but it's not really a fair comparison, and the latter is far more useful both for DI-ing (Twin hasn't got a balanced XLR out) and backline.

[quote name='andy67' post='531197' date='Jul 2 2009, 11:41 PM']nope! real men want this!! :)[/quote]

Sorry, but for real men there is only one option:
[url="http://photos1.blogger.com/img/66/5930/640/V8_1_front.jpg"]
Trace V8[/url]

[quote]Oh yessssssssss! Ever compared it to a V6, sound-wise? I find my Twin has a nicer tone to my V-type pre/QSC power rig in a way I can't really describe, but it's not really a fair comparison, and the latter is far more useful both for DI-ing (Twin hasn't got a balanced XLR out) and backline.[/quote]

Hah, I don't actually have one sorry!

I did used to own that V4 combo that seems to have now had a lot of owners on here. That was a bit of beast although stupidly heavy and broke up too easily.