Why become a member? ×

Do I need heavier strings?

horribleman

I've got a 4H Stingray, which I love dearly, and I can get most any sound out of it, except the one I want. I've tried flats, but they lacked a little high end definition.

Currently it has what I think are the factory strings on, which sound good but they are missing a little oomph.

Will putting heavier rounds ok swap a bit of brightness without sacrificing clarity for some oomph or do I need pressure wounds or something else?

What do you stingray stingray dudes use?

[quote name='horribleman' post='511675' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:49 PM']I've got a 4H Stingray, which I love dearly, and I can get most any sound out of it, except the one I want. I've tried flats, but they lacked a little high end definition.

Currently it has what I think are the factory strings on, which sound good but they are missing a little oomph.

Will putting heavier rounds ok swap a bit of brightness without sacrificing clarity for some oomph or do I need pressure wounds or something else?

What do you stingray stingray dudes use?[/quote]

Maybe just try a different brand of strings? or perhaps its just time for a fresh new pack of round wounds, try the flea signature boomers,

Sounds like you want more Low-mids...Recently switching to a Stingray myself I'll say that having one pickup at the bridge gives you HUGE ammounts of bright, biting tone...But a loss in low mids.

Can't suggest anything I'm afraid...Not sure strings will do that job and heavier strings won't sort that out either.
Chances are your already using 45-105, asuming only, therefore anything heavier isn't gonna help you. :)

Try nickel rounds, 45-105 ish. Nickels generally have smoother top and fatter mids than stainless steel. Also, leave them on there for a good while before you judge their tone - I prefer strings that are well played in (which means I get to keep them on for ages!)

I prefer balanced tension gauges but strings in those combinations are rare - I have 38-58-78-104-134 on my 36" scale five.

Alex

[quote name='Kongo' post='511760' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:32 AM']Sounds like you want more Low-mids...Recently switching to a Stingray myself I'll say that having one pickup at the bridge gives you HUGE ammounts of bright, biting tone...But a loss in low mids.

Can't suggest anything I'm afraid...Not sure strings will do that job and heavier strings won't sort that out either.
Chances are your already using 45-105, asuming only, therefore anything heavier isn't gonna help you. :)[/quote]

+1. Stingrays can lack low mids, which I missed when switching from my Warwick.

I'm now using an EBS microbass to dial in some low mids and the tone is fantastic. I've got all the character of the Stingray tone, but with a bit more low end growl.