Why become a member? ×

From a 51P to a 55P in 3 months...

sixshooter

Here is my little project, the doner came from a Basschat member, looks a little different now!

Started life like this:-

[attachment=26788:fender51.jpg]

And finished up like this:-

[attachment=26789:pic5.jpg]

If you are interested I will post more pictures of the change.

Work carried out by Joe White with a helping hand from me!

[quote name='BassBod' post='509376' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:47 PM']That looks like a very tasteful change. I could never understand why the butterscotch MIJ version is such an awful plastic looking colour (while the sunbursts I've seen have been pretty good)[/quote]

Thanks I am very happy with the outcome, I agree with you with regard to the butterscotch, it has very little going for it in the looks department.

[attachment=26796:pic6.jpg] [attachment=26797:pic7.jpg]

Edited by sixshooter

[quote name='bumnote' post='509493' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:26 PM']have you reliced the chromewear? if so what did you use[/quote]

Yes, all chrome reliced, not sure of the name of the liquid but it had a warning label on it and it eat's chrome!

The neck is now starting to craze nicely after a few days in the sun....

:)

[attachment=26912:Pic1.jpg] [attachment=26913:pic2.jpg] [attachment=26914:pic3.jpg]

[attachment=26915:pic4.jpg]

Edited by sixshooter

Nice job - looks great!

I'm generally a fan of butterscotch Fenders - but that tone looked well odd - good colour choice. I'm not sure about the whole relicing thing, but it looks like you have done a pretty tasteful job on the brightwork - are you going to do anything else?

btw, is it a nitro or poly finish?

[quote name='johnny_b' post='511936' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:02 AM']Nice job - looks great!

I'm generally a fan of butterscotch Fenders - but that tone looked well odd - good colour choice. I'm not sure about the whole relicing thing, but it looks like you have done a pretty tasteful job on the brightwork - are you going to do anything else?

btw, is it a nitro or poly finish?[/quote]

Thanks Johnny, it is thin nitro and it will start to craze very soon, the neck has already started to go with the help of the sun, and the body colour is changing to a greenish hue.

All electrics have been replaced, Jason Loller pickups are installed. the neck will be aged a little more on the back, but that will be with wear as I intend to use this quite a bit.

The great thing about the relic thing is that it does not matter if it gets a bit of damage in use, as opposed to my fantastic Modulus which has one scatch on caused by a drum part while playing, I could have cried for a week when it happened!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='4000' post='519173' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:24 AM']That is stunning and I want one![/quote]

Thanks, had my 2nd outing with it on Sat at a reasonable size Beer Festival. Going through a Trace stack and into the PA it sounded good, I took my number 1 Black 79 P just in case but did not need to use it.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='519339' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:48 PM']If you don't mind me asking - what did it cost "all in" for this project (i.e. the bass, all the work & parts/paint)

It's a great bass you've ended up with and I'm well impressed.
Cheers,
Jon[/quote]

It was less than £1k, however I did work with Joe White on this as a project so would expect it to have cost a bit more without his generosity.

You have to take into consideration that this is now a custom built Bass with hand wound pickups, all cloth wireing, CTS pots, Nitro finish body and neck which has been modified, refinished and then sypathetically aged.

A Fender Custom shop one, (if they made one) would be in excess of £2.7k.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='520586' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:00 AM']Indeed!
Got me thinking about a project again now!

BTW what are the Fender '59 RI Precisions like?
Have fancied one but never been able to try one!

Cheers,
Jon.[/quote]

The Custom Shop 59 is a great bass, I tend to use it for the first half of the set and the Black 79 for the second half. It is a nice weight, not too heavy and the neck is fast and low.