Why become a member? ×

My custom P bass - Shuker bass building course 20/07/09

Mikey R

This July Im doing the bass building course with Jon Shuker in the Peaks. As well as being a kickass holiday, I also get learn the basics of how to put a bass together from one of the UKs best luthiers. Plus, I get to walk out of it with a custom bass! Doesnt get better than this! :)

Ive been looking for a good solid P type bass, since Ive started using just the P pickup on the Bass Collection PJ, but I wanted to make the body a wee bit smaller than the traditional shape and make it a bit more comfortable to get around.

EDIT: Heres the final spec:

[b]Neck[/b]
4 string modified P
42mm nut
19mm string spacing at the bridge
34" scale
24 frets
5 piece laminated maple/purpleheart
Maple f/board (black veneer beneath)
Two way truss rod
Satin polyurethan topcoat
Medium fretwire
Bone nut
Offset black face dots
Black side dots

[b]Body[/b]
3 piece white ash body
Flamed maple top (black veneer beneath)
Dark blue stain
Satin polyurethan topcoat
Three ply black / white / black scratchguard

[b]Hardware[/b]
Gotoh mini tuners
Shaller 2000 bridge

[b]Electrics[/b]
Wizzard Thumper with covered pole pieces
Passive vol, 250k pot

EDIT: Heres the final(ish) design:

Edited by Mikey R

hey Mikey, that is cool, what a great way to spend July!
I prefer blondes over blue stained maple, a nice figured maple top - leave it blonde and go for black accents, possibly a maple fingerboard with black binding , would look really cool with black hardware. Classic and understated.
Also I could not resist shoving a neck puppy in it for versatility. Look forward to seeing it. Have fun

Hi Mikey,

I'm also doing this course at the same time. Very exciting!

I'm headed for a red satin Jazz with black hardware, probably Seymour Duncan vintage PUPs and a John East J-retro preamp.
What do you think of the the gotoh mini's? do they look ok on the scale of a bass?

Look forward to meeting you

Chris.

Most jealous of you lot, wish I could afford the time and the cash to do this little course, it'd be awesome!
I'd love to build myself a little shortscale bass for noodling around on, maybe next year...

[b]ateyercheese[/b]
The mini gotohs look great on a shukerised-fender style headstock >>

I assume that's the ones you mean, right?...

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='509687' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:46 PM']hey Mikey, that is cool, what a great way to spend July!
I prefer blondes over blue stained maple, a nice figured maple top - leave it blonde and go for black accents, possibly a maple fingerboard with black binding , would look really cool with black hardware. Classic and understated.
Also I could not resist shoving a neck puppy in it for versatility. Look forward to seeing it. Have fun[/quote]

Hi Al, for this bass Im choosing all of the things that I wouldnt have the guts to do myself - like applying a stain and doing a drop top.

For the pickup, I've really become a fan of the split P by itsself - I love the simplicity, and it can do a range of tones all by itsself.

If I was to go with multiple pickups, I think Id go with Nordstrand split singles. Maybe on another bass... I can see this building lark getting expensive!

Hey everyone, Ive updated the first post with two possible designs. I like them both, so I'd appreciate what everyone else thinks!

EDIT: Heres what Ive come up with for the design. Theres two options, both with 24 frets and a Jazz style offset waist on a basic Precision shape. Sorry about the fuzziness of the pictures, I'll draw them up full size at the weekend.

Option 1: The classic P type pickguard:

Option 2: A Tele style control plate:

Whatcha think?

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='511708' date='Jun 11 2009, 11:19 PM']Hey everyone, Ive updated the first post with two possible designs. I like them both, so I'd appreciate what everyone else thinks![/quote]

I like the tele control plate dude, very classy :)

Eude

I prefer the standard pickguard design over the tele style, in this case anyway!
You're going for a more sweeping organic body, and the original precision pickguard compliments it I think, the tele plate is a bit to straight and stark compared to the modified body!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='511877' date='Jun 12 2009, 10:04 AM']You're going for a more sweeping organic body, and the original precision pickguard compliments it I think, the tele plate is a bit to straight and stark compared to the modified body![/quote]

Cheers Si, I think I agree. I'm going to have another sketch of the option 2 this evening, and see if I can make the tale end of the bass a bit more square and Tele-like, whilst keeping the slated Jazz style waist.

So although I'm definitly sticking with my original suggestion of the P-style setup, Here's a couple more ideas:

[url="http://img200.imageshack.us/i/zodiac20de20scorpio01.jpg/"][/url]

Peaveys slanted t-style plate.

[url="http://img23.imageshack.us/i/fullfrontal.jpg/"][/url]

Conklins Rocco Prestia signature, bit more radical than yours, but still rocks the Precision scratchplate.....kinda :)

Si

The results are in:

P pickguard got 4 votes,
Tele control plate got 3 votes,
No pickguard got 1 vote.

So, Ive modified the design a little to keep the offset waist but to make it look more like a P and less like a J:

i like that, i prefer the tele control plate, but the design you've chosen is very cool too.

and speaking from experience as a member who's done this course, you'll have a great time, it was a great week for me, and i'm sure it will be for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Last item to be decided - Badass II or Hipshot A style bridge?

I like the idea of the Hipshot - Merton says they are good, theyre also top loadable, so strings can be changed quickly without scratching the laquer behind the bridge. Also theres the string through option.

you say about string thru, but remember you also have to drill for that. it might be a bit of a rush fitting it in. you have to bear that in mind.

i voted badass simply because i always use badass, IMO they're the best bridge for the price out.

Ive had another chat with Jon this lunchtime, Ive chosen to go for the Shaller top loading bridge rather than the Hipshot or Badass. Like Tait said, it's more time to install the string thru bridge, and I'd rather spend that time on the finishing.

Edited by Mikey R