Why become a member? ×

My custom P bass - Shuker bass building course 20/07/09

Mikey R

[quote name='thedonutman' post='562459' date='Aug 7 2009, 01:24 AM']That second riff you played, it's the Basstasters riff isn't it? Do you know if it's actually a riff from a song or just a lick they came up with?[/quote]

So was the first riff - easier comparison for tone :rolleyes:

[quote name='soopercrip' post='562601' date='Aug 7 2009, 10:00 AM']got the building bug bad then? (me too)
GAS attack for buying, whats the build bug then? (answers on a £50 note send too....)[/quote]

Well, theres TAS (tool aquisition syndrome), I think builders bug must just be an accepted risk. :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='562684' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:29 AM']You know when the thought of building a bass comes to mind it's always the neck that I wonder about, how to achieve a perfect profile lengthwise?

Must be quite a skill methinks to get it right.[/quote]

After getting the rough shape with the rasps and spokeshave, its actually quite similar to boat building - fair it with paper on a block so you dont introduce too many bumps, and just keep going till its right! It should be a faily slow process, unless youre rushing, so you get plenty of warning for if its going badly wrong.

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='562994' date='Aug 7 2009, 06:51 PM']Wow now that we got some closeups i'm in love. The wood is beautiful!
How much was the course? Was it just you or were their other people building with you?[/quote]

Its all on [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/coursedetails.html"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/coursedetails.html[/url]

We did the three person course. My spec was at the absolute upper limit of what anyone could really do in a week - I aim high. Steve and Chris took a more practical approach and didnt mess with the spec, so they finished on time and didnt have to rush - and they probably enjoyed the course a whole lot more because of that. Now that Ive done the course, I'd recommend going for a one piece neck and a body without a cap, it will save you a whole day at the beginning and you wont be trying to catch up for the rest of the week.

You will need to remember that you are responsible for the instrument you are building, Jon and Rob will tell you what you need to do and offer guidance, but its down to you to get the tasks done. If you just want a top quality, perfect custom bass, commision Jon to build one for you. But if you want your own, thats got your own wrinkles, (and you really will know where every wrinkle is, believe me!) then this will be the best week you ever spent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='573185' date='Aug 18 2009, 05:00 PM']Been too preoccupied with electronics for the last 2 months to nitice this thread : (
Must say thats one gorgeous bass - you must be well pleased with the outcome. I love the understated classy finish, not too flash.
When you going to lend it to me?[/quote]

:) Thanks Al!

[quote name='Mikey R' post='563011' date='Aug 7 2009, 07:17 PM']You will need to remember that you are responsible for the instrument you are building, Jon and Rob will tell you what you need to do and offer guidance, but its down to you to get the tasks done. If you just want a top quality, perfect custom bass, commision Jon to build one for you. But if you want your own, thats got your own wrinkles, (and you really will know where every wrinkle is, believe me!) then this will be the best week you ever spent.[/quote]

+1 speaking as someone who has done this course (well, i did the one to one course), i have to agree with every word of that. you'll also love it more than any other bass you'll ever play, i promise!

[quote name='rjb' post='578351' date='Aug 23 2009, 05:40 PM']Could you not make a little maple plug to fill the middle one in? Or perhaps a glue and maple sawdust filler?[/quote]

I could - it would never be perfect though. And carried on fixing all of the wrincles on this one then I wouldnt have time to make another :)

[quote name='Tait' post='578536' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:51 PM']+1 speaking as someone who has done this course (well, i did the one to one course), i have to agree with every word of that. you'll also love it more than any other bass you'll ever play, i promise![/quote]

So true - I love this bass, worts and all. Im keeping all of the imperfections to remind me not to make the same mistakes again.