Why become a member? ×

1978 Gibson G-3

neepheid

I recently acquired this 31 year old, she was in a bit of a state as can be seen here:

In the middle of cleaning some white gunk off the pickup casings:

Well, I decided to give the old "coke soak" a try on the tarnished metal parts. Colour me amazed.

And here she is, fully assembled:

I haven't given her a good go through the rig yet, but even through headphones/bass trainer last night I was impressed. Proper play tonight!

• 3 weeks later...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I LOVE the BLACK-ness!!!!!!!!
WOW!!! that COKE works a treat eh??? I just got a '77 G-3 - your post on it's pics thread led me here. - Is yours an ALDER body one like mine? I s'pose I should do the 'clean-up' thang too.... oh ONE day I s'pose.. Any tips I should know B4 I embark on this?????

[quote name='rodl2005' post='521555' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:18 AM']BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I LOVE the BLACK-ness!!!!!!!!
WOW!!! that COKE works a treat eh??? I just got a '77 G-3 - your post on it's pics thread led me here. - Is yours an ALDER body one like mine? I s'pose I should do the 'clean-up' thang too.... oh ONE day I s'pose.. Any tips I should know B4 I embark on this?????[/quote]

I couldn't say for sure on the body wood - black hides a multitude of sins! According to the excellent Gibson bass site at [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/"]http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/[/url] there's no definite dates about the change in body wood on the G-3 section, but in the Ripper section it says that it was maple in 75, alder was used 75-76, then back on the maple from 77. Whether or not this applies to G-3s and Grabbers, it doesn't say.

Tips? Do it in stages and separate containers - bridge, tuners, other stuff (neckplate, screws etc.). You need to completely dismantle assembled parts like the bridge and the tuners so doing them separately makes it easier to keep track of the various parts. No need to buy proper Coca-cola or Pepsi - some cheap supermarket own brand saver stuff will suffice. 2L of proper coke - £1-£2, supermarket own - 17p. I used diet - I figured sugar would make things stickier. Those results were obtained by a couple of hours soaking - I changed the coke after an hour. You might need longer depending on how badly tarnished the parts are. Wash off the coke well. DRY the parts well before you reassemble.