Why become a member? ×

Flatwound City Limits

lee4

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='507727' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:32 PM']Good for you matey.

Like many things, it's just a question of personal preference. If 'your sound' involves flats then great. What I'm concerned about is the way that less experienced players seem to be using flats because they are easier to control - in the same way that we played 30-90 Superwounds in the 80s because they had lighter tension and (often) lower action.[/quote]
I'm sure less experienced players will be fine. It's nice that you're concerned about them, though.

Anyway, the shops had better get their act together if they want to cash in on this Flatwound bandwagon. Monz (*looks up a few posts*) can't find anywhere that sells them.

Maybe they've sold all their stock to Noobz?

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='507727' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:32 PM']What I'm concerned about is the way that less experienced players seem to be using flats because they are easier to control...[/quote]

What?? Your kidding, I've not ever come across a beginner bass player who yet knows how flatwounds work or what they are, let alone wanting to use them to control their technique. Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but I think that's a pretty inaccurate and rubbish statement if you don't mind me saying so myself :)

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='507007' date='Jun 6 2009, 02:52 PM']Last week I tried a second hand five string (a [i]five[/i] string people!) that had been strung with flats.[/quote]

All my 5 stringers are strung with Labella flats. I didn't realise I was being stupid..... :)

I love them. I originally tried them to see what the fuss was all about (the plus side of being on "Groupthink Central" :rolleyes: ).

I almost gave up as I found they would make my fingers sore and blister, but once I got used to them I have had no problems since.

I love the feel and sound, it has nothing to do with following a crowd or bandwagon. I have no desire to go back to rounds, unless I find some that convince me otherwise.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='505849' date='Jun 4 2009, 09:33 PM']They are, but.. I'm just about to change out a set of La Bellas after seven years.

How many sets of rounds would I have been through in that time?[/quote]

Spot on there! and also they are fret frendly so if you are a regular player your frets will last longer....

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='507727' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:32 PM']What I'm concerned about is the way that less experienced players seem to be using flats because they are easier to control[/quote]
what makes you say flats are easier to control? I don't understand why you would say that?

But if it was true - which I don't really think it is - it would be wise for less experienced players to use them.

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='507727' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:32 PM']in the same way that we played 30-90 Superwounds in the 80s because they had lighter tension and (often) lower action.[/quote]
You may have used those in the 1980s, I certainly didn't - I don't even know what 'Superwounds' are.

I've tried fitting flatwounds to my Fender MIM P, however, I could have driven a bus through the action after I'd fitted them. They were Rotosounds incidently.

If changing to flatwounds do you need to adjust the neck on most basses, or does it depend on the bass and brand of strings?

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='509025' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:00 PM']I've tried fitting flatwounds to my Fender MIM P, however, I could have driven a bus through the action after I'd fitted them. They were Rotosounds incidently.

If changing to flatwounds do you need to adjust the neck on most basses, or does it depend on the bass and brand of strings?[/quote]
It would be common to adjust the neck and the intonation on any bass after changing to any different type of string. I wouldn't use the Rotosounds myself so I don't know but my guess is that they are higher tension than your previous strings and so you will need to tighten the truss rod and adjust the bridge accordingly.

In general they have higher tension so you should adjust your truss-rod accordingly. TI's are pretty loose though, whereas Jamerson LaBellas for instance are like bridge cables. If you don't know how to do this then it's worth learning how (be careful) or take it to a pro - if your action is high because your neck is bowed, it's not going to be good for the neck.

And more people need to try Pyramid Gold flats, I am loving em!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='509025' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:00 PM']I've tried fitting flatwounds to my Fender MIM P, however, I could have driven a bus through the action after I'd fitted them. They were Rotosounds incidently.

If changing to flatwounds do you need to adjust the neck on most basses, or does it depend on the bass and brand of strings?[/quote]

Rotosound flatwounds are notoriously ridiculously high tension , I had a set on a bass of mine they were standard gauge (105-45) but tuned DGCF , even at that tuning the tension was too high, I ended up taking them off. Flats are slightly higher tension than rounds and most people tend to go a gauge lighter with flats than they would with roundwounds , whether or not you will need to adjust the neck or not would depend on the brand , rotos and fender flats are very high tension , ti's are fairly low tension

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='509050' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:24 PM']Thanks for that, that explains a lot. I'll have to remortgage the house and take the plunge with a set of TIs then.[/quote]

When you think of how long they last though (flats last indefinately, most people keep them on their bass for years) you will initially spend more but end up saving money as you will not have to change strings as often. If you want low tension flatwounds and dont want to pay TI's prices , most companies do flats in light gauge , just avoid Fender or Roto flats

Had to completely set my bass up after I put flats on.That,and the extra effort in fingering notes aside(due to extra tension)they are really worth putting on.
Played Good Times by Chic last night;bridge pup and flats gave me a great disco/funk sound.

[quote name='Monz' post='512743' date='Jun 13 2009, 12:39 PM']OK taken the plunge... La Bella "deep talking" light 43 to 128 ordered from stringbusters

Will report back here with my first impressions as soon as I get them on[/quote]
Fab.. I would hold off on the 'first impressions' report until they've got a few gigs behind 'em. They take a little while to open up...

As an update on my earlier post...

Got my TIs from Stringbusters, so it looks like the "dead D" batch has been replaced. Strung up the VMJ fretless this evening. Wow. What a difference.

It had D'Addario Chromes on it before (which replaced the horrible, horrible Fender rounds it shipped with), and I liked the Chromes a lot, but the TIs take it to another level. A lot more flexible than the Chromes, and I feel like I can play everything a touch more easily. Really sweet, thunky sound, without that zing of the Chromes. The only downside of the TIs compared to the Chromes is that I'd say the Chromes are even smoother to the touch, so the fretting hand can slip around even more easily than on the TIs. On the other hand... literally... plucking the TIs is easier, so it's swings and roundabouts there.

I'm in flats heaven. Now I just need to try some La Bellas...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='513690' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:07 PM']As an update on my earlier post...

Got my TIs from Stringbusters, so it looks like the "dead D" batch has been replaced. Strung up the VMJ fretless this evening. Wow. What a difference.

It had D'Addario Chromes on it before (which replaced the horrible, horrible Fender rounds it shipped with), and I liked the Chromes a lot, but the TIs take it to another level. A lot more flexible than the Chromes, and I feel like I can play everything a touch more easily. Really sweet, thunky sound, without that zing of the Chromes. The only downside of the TIs compared to the Chromes is that I'd say the Chromes are even smoother to the touch, so the fretting hand can slip around even more easily than on the TIs. On the other hand... literally... plucking the TIs is easier, so it's swings and roundabouts there.

I'm in flats heaven. Now I just need to try some La Bellas...[/quote]
Give the TIs a few weeks and several hours of playing and they will sound even better. Then they carry on getting even better.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='513697' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:11 PM']Give the TIs a few weeks and several hours of playing and they will sound even better. Then they carry on getting even better.[/quote]
So I'm going to move [i]beyond[/i] flats heaven? I'm quite excited. This I have to see...