Why become a member? ×

Wrong pick-up choice help me!!!!

I have a p-bass copy and the sound is dull. Just purchased some seymour duncan spb-3 pick-ups for it.
Thing is after hearing some sound clips it sound too punky.
I play ina diverse cover band for e.g.g the beatles, james brown and coldplay.
I am worried are these pick-ups the wrong choice for me?

It sounds like the wrong choice to me too. How much is the copy worth? What is it? Is there something you love about it?

You could go the route of getting Fender vintage reissues, some high end vintage like Lindy Fralin, even Duncan do some apparently excellent vintage types. Vintage copies is what I reckon you need for the work you do. You'd be amazed at what a good vintage Fender can sound like, and how deep. Of course it also depends on what amp or DI you use.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='stevie' post='505077' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:39 PM']Seymour Duncan operate an exchange scheme, which the UK distributor should honour. Take it back and ask for an SPB-1 in its place. That is a more classic P-Bass sound and is probably what you are looking for.[/quote]
Cool, I didn't know that. I bought some BassLines SJs about a year ago for my Jazz, they were excellent!

Edited by silddx

Are they the 1/4 pounders? I have them in my Pbass, I can get a fair range of sounds out of them, although predominatley rock, punk or metal. I think its because they cater the higher pitches quite well. It depends alot on your amp aswell though.

[quote name='charic' post='505150' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:48 PM']Are they the 1/4 pounders? I have them in my Pbass, I can get a fair range of sounds out of them, although predominatley rock, punk or metal. I think its because they cater the higher pitches quite well. It depends alot on your amp aswell though.[/quote]

Yes they are the 1/4 pounders spb-3. Do they sound too thin in the mix though, i mean do they have much bottom end?
Just have a suspicion that they are not versatile enough for me, but youtube and these internal laptop speakers don't show muich bottom end on many basses.

I love 1/4lbers. They're capable of many sounds, they're just a higher output pickup aimed at a rock tone basically, but if you back them off a bit and be a little more subtle with your playing, I think they sound great. The pickup exchange thing sounds like your best bet though, and try the SB1. Failing that, a Wizard Thumper is a great upgrade pup for a P bass.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='505152' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:52 PM']Yes they are the 1/4 pounders spb-3. Do they sound too thin in the mix though, i mean do they have much bottom end?
Just have a suspicion that they are not versatile enough for me, but youtube and these internal laptop speakers don't show muich bottom end on many basses.[/quote]
The quarter pounders swap some top end detail for added punch. They have plenty of bottom end. I'd echo what the others have said: you'll never know whether they are right for you until you fit them.

[quote name='stevie' post='505321' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:28 AM']The quarter pounders swap some top end detail for added punch. They have plenty of bottom end. I'd echo what the others have said: you'll never know whether they are right for you until you fit them.[/quote]

Well i have always been sick of my muddy quiet pick-ups in the mix so i guess these will solve that.
Our set does comprise on some pop punk covers etc, but as i have bought these now i may aswell try them out.
But i am a finger player so will that make the sound a bit more vintage.
Also in the set when it come to the Beatles, James Brown etc songs what should i do to get the best tone suited for these songs?

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='505345' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:11 AM']Well i have always been sick of my muddy quiet pick-ups in the mix so i guess these will solve that.
Our set does comprise on some pop punk covers etc, but as i have bought these now i may aswell try them out.
But i am a finger player so will that make the sound a bit more vintage.
Also in the set when it come to the Beatles, James Brown etc songs what should i do to get the best tone suited for these songs?[/quote]

You won't get muddy or quiet with a QP I promise you that. I think it'll sound fantastic, give it a chance. At the end of the day, if you get stuck with a pickup you don't like, pull it out and sell it here. Then put a Thumper in.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='505068' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:34 PM']I have a p-bass copy and the sound is dull. Just purchased some seymour duncan spb-3 pick-ups for it.
Thing is after hearing some sound clips it sound too punky.
I play ina diverse cover band for e.g.g the beatles, james brown and coldplay.
I am worried are these pick-ups the wrong choice for me?[/quote]

Your listening to someone elses fingers / pick / amp / DI unit / EQ.
The pickup is fine. It's a modern sounding P-bass pickup but the sound is great.
Defo not punky.