Why become a member? ×

Fender Classic series Jazz Basses

pegman1

You know the new 70's styled ones that are made in mexico, anyone got one? What dyou think of them? I played one at my local store
and the guy in the shop was really liking em' saying the only difference between this one and the american standards was about 80 miles.
Anyone agree with that would be interesting to hear your opinions.

I had one and they are fantastic basses. Hardware is the same as US apart from pickups but I spoke to Fender and you can buy the pickups that come in the US 75 re-issue Jazz. They are not off the shelf items so need to be ordered in special but I have the part numbers if anyone wants them. The build quality is superb. Faultless and the neck on mine was not chunky at all. Amazing basses. I do think they are overpriced these days though for a Mexican bass.

Similar to the early 70's shape but probably even thicker. Build quality was OK on the two that I tried although both would have needed fretstones to get a decent low action adn the nut was cut too high. Sound was appropriate for the era but tried a 1971 side by side and it was different class. They look great though, esp in sunburst!

[quote name='Linus27' post='503773' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:37 PM']I had one and they are fantastic basses. Hardware is the same as US apart from pickups but I spoke to Fender and you can buy the pickups that come in the US 75 re-issue Jazz. They are not off the shelf items so need to be ordered in special but I have the part numbers if anyone wants them. The build quality is superb. Faultless and the neck on mine was not chunky at all. Amazing basses. I do think they are overpriced these days though for a Mexican bass.[/quote]

Thats interesting about the 75 pickups i bet they're quite pricey though because they're not off the shelf.

[quote name='YouMa' post='503800' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:02 PM']The ones on my highway one jazz are u.s. alnico,im whipping them out next month for bartolinis,ill sell you them if you want.[/quote]

Got no jazz bass to put them into, but maybe soon...

P.S What dyou think of your highway 1 bass?

I love it! it looks cool with the satin finish,the neck needed a lot of tweaking though as i like my action real low,its starting to settle now. It took me a while to get back into the feel of a fender,after using warwick and spectors,but its worth it just for that lovely steely warm tone. Its being pimped next month with an audere preamp and bartolinis. Low price for a u.s. made bass,and it does what it says on the tin.

[quote name='YouMa' post='503853' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:53 PM']I love it! it looks cool with the satin finish,the neck needed a lot of tweaking though as i like my action real low,its starting to settle now. It took me a while to get back into the feel of a fender,after using warwick and spectors,but its worth it just for that lovely steely warm tone. Its being pimped next month with an audere preamp and bartolinis. Low price for a u.s. made bass,and it does what it says on the tin.[/quote]

Nice. Any reason for bartolinis over seymour duncans tho?

[quote name='pegman1' post='503780' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:44 PM']Thats interesting about the 75 pickups i bet they're quite pricey though because they're not off the shelf.[/quote]

Actually no, they are pretty cheap,

0055230000 PICKUP ASSY 75 JAZZ BASS NECK RRP £42.99

0055231000 PICKUP ASSY 75 JAZZ BASS BRG RRP £42.99

They said as they are not off the shelf, it can be about 8 weeks delievery. They can be ordered through any Fender dealer.

[quote name='Linus27' post='503915' date='Jun 2 2009, 03:57 PM']Actually no, they are pretty cheap,

0055230000 PICKUP ASSY 75 JAZZ BASS NECK RRP £42.99

0055231000 PICKUP ASSY 75 JAZZ BASS BRG RRP £42.99

They said as they are not off the shelf, it can be about 8 weeks delievery. They can be ordered through any Fender dealer.[/quote]

Thanks for that.

[quote name='YouMa' post='503853' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:53 PM']I love it! it looks cool with the satin finish,the neck needed a lot of tweaking though as i like my action real low,its starting to settle now. It took me a while to get back into the feel of a fender,after using warwick and spectors,but its worth it just for that lovely steely warm tone. Its being pimped next month with an audere preamp and bartolinis. Low price for a u.s. made bass,and it does what it says on the tin.[/quote]

They just seem to have a darker sound and more power.

Now then. I can help you out there.I was looking for a Jazz and tried a:

Geddy Lee-lovely bass but a bit too pricey.

The 70`s model - The one I played had the chunkiest neck I have ever seen on a Jazz, so some seem to be slim, others are chunky. You would need to check it out before you splash the cash. But what really put me off was the white binding on the neck which seemed very wide if you get my drift.

The 60`s model - Fantastic! Olympic white, lovely neck and the lightest jazz bass I have held. And it sounded the best of the 3. So I bought it, well happy!

I didn`t get to try a Squire classic vibe as they didn`t have one but everyone seems to rave about them, so might be worth a punt.

Jez :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' date='Jun 2 2009, 06:34 PM' post='504084']
Now then. I can help you out there.I was looking for a Jazz and tried a:

I can't decide which jazz bass to buy and the Mexican classic series seem very cheap compared to the US vintage series.
I'm considering the classic 60s jazz at £520 compared to the US vintage 62 jazz at £1380.
Then there's the USA Highway 1 model, which is a similar price to the Mexican classic 60s and I wonder how they compare and why is the Highway 1 almost half the price of the American Standard model?

Fender seem to have a bass for every budget and I really need to try a few before I can begin to understand why there are so many - so much choice makes it very hard to decide which one to go for.

Any advice would be gratefully received - lightweight is good and I only play reggae and fingerstyle jazz using just the neck pup with the tone rolled off for a very deep smooth sound.

Maybe I'll just get a Squier classic vibe at only £250!

[quote name='jezzaboy']Maybe I'll just get a Squier classic vibe at only £250![/quote]

I just bought one today, and it beats my USA 75 Reissue hands down, warm and punchy without the harshness.

Edited by Josh

Do a search on highway ones on the forum theres a few people got them on here,a lot of people like them on talkbass as well. The reason they are cheaper is the finish is just a couple of coats of nitro,its designed to relic quickly so it looks used. Its worth it though,make sure you get the second edition highway one rather than highway 1(they are named differently), the former includes the badass 2 bridge.

Edited by YouMa

What do you guys think of the 60's classic, check out these vids [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsyhxpauaNE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsyhxpauaNE...feature=related[/url] AND www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=kMKj_4DtlQs. That to me sounds pretty good for what is meant to be an inferior bass to the USA's. Im off to play them.

[quote name='redstriper' post='504388' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:02 AM']Have you found any dead spots on the neck ?[/quote]

Nope, I have my action very low, so much that it chokes out on the higher notes (15th fret on wards) and each note is nice and clear and consistent.