Why become a member? ×

New Jon Shuker Signature P bass - Simon Rix

OldGit

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='504355' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:42 PM']You mean the single pole-pieces? That's just what Delano pickups look like. Check out the Sandbergs, they use them too.[/quote]
ah yeah ive seen them on the sandbergs.
Are there any advantages to the single pole? Or just a different design with the same outcome? Xx

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='505209' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:10 AM']ah yeah ive seen them on the sandbergs.
Are there any advantages to the single pole? Or just a different design with the same outcome? Xx[/quote]

Well, you'd assume as the volume of one is going to be greater than the volume of the 2 seperates that fit into the same space that there would be a difference, if they're actually magnets one would assume they'd put out a stronger magnetic field, or at least, a wider one at the very least.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='505002' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:02 PM']Ooh get her.[/quote]
Yes, I spotted that too. I think there are some other subliminal messages in Dood's post...

[quote name='dood' post='504963' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:30 PM']Brian May
feel
my
Doodle[/quote]
See what I mean?

[quote name='dood' post='504963' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:30 PM']Well, I think my take on it is that I *perceive* my 'Signature' instrument to be ..well.. like my *own* signature. I want my instrument (and all of MY personalisations that make it more comfortable for me to play than any other instrument) to be easily identified as mine.. in the same way that ..well.. my signature on a cheque would be. This is one of the reasons why both of my Shukers are a matched pair. I'm a big Queen fan, as a few of you may have realised lol - and I LOVE the idea that Brian May's guitar is instantly recogniseable. It is considered his 'signature' I feel. It was never designed with being mass produced in mind and I feel the same about my basses.

I may feel different if *insert brand name major* were chucking out 1000's of mass produced 'Doodle-alikes'. It would be great to know that so many people would want to buy 'my design' But, I'm not so sure I would call every one of those a 'signature' instrument.

that would be a +1million for the quality of Jon's work.[/quote]

Hi Dood,

Thanks for the reply. Its just a matter of terminology I guess. What you describe as your *signature* instrument I would see as being a *custom* instrument. A signature instrument to me is something like the 'Flea' bass , Sting bass, or the Victor Bailey etc etc.
Either way as long as we are happy with what we get it doesn't matter how we label it does it?
I merely thought that maybe Jon was going into that world of relatively mass produced 'Simon Rix' models - looks like he isn't :-)

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='505436' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:08 PM']Hi Dood,

Thanks for the reply. Its just a matter of terminology I guess. What you describe as your *signature* instrument I would see as being a *custom* instrument. A signature instrument to me is something like the 'Flea' bass , Sting bass, or the Victor Bailey etc etc.
Either way as long as we are happy with what we get it doesn't matter how we label it does it?
I merely thought that maybe Jon was going into that world of relatively mass produced 'Simon Rix' models - looks like he isn't :-)

Steve[/quote]

Nearest Jon gets to mass production is someone ordering one just like one he's made before ... :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='504861' date='Jun 3 2009, 05:14 PM']Basically, if I were to order a custom bass, I would hand the luthier a vhs of me having sex and instruct him to interpret it into the bass equivalent.

And no, it wouldn't be short scale.[/quote]

...but it would be right-handed. ;-)

[quote name='birdy' post='505436' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:08 PM']Hi Dood,

Steve[/quote]

Doesn't the name of the thread make everything all a bit confusing then? It's not really a custom bass is it? It's a Shuker made P bass is it?

Right, I'm off to place and order of a Dood signature Doodle model. Same colour, same spec, same everything... even down to the writing on the cavity covers.

Hang on... that's not a signature model is it? That's a tribute model isn't it?!

Bah. I'm all confused.

[quote name='OldGit' post='503555' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:46 AM']Oh er!
There's a new "Signature" P bass at Shukers: A Simon Rix of the Kaiser Chiefs P bass ..

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/pbassgal.htm"]Shuker Signature P bass gallery[/url][/quote]

thats the bloody bass that held mine up!, but it is nice

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='503786' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:51 PM']I understand from Jon that Bakithi Kumalo approached him a while back. I don't think I would use the term 'knocked back' but I believe there might have been some limits to how accommodating Jon could be. More than that I'm not going to say on a public forum.[/quote]

wow, that would be an interesting story