Why become a member? ×

Another way of Practicing.

Jase

[quote name='The Funk' post='501378' date='May 30 2009, 02:26 AM']Screw it. If it's ten quid I'll get one and play under my desk, which won't look at all like I'm fiddling with myself.[/quote]

Haha!

I liked the suggestion that you could play it in bed - imagine whipping that out and getting down to a bit of slapping just as the other half was nodding off, priceless!

:)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='501557' date='May 30 2009, 12:44 PM']This just makes it look like a dodgy French synth-pop player got ripped off on eBay:

"Zut alors! Où est mon SH-101?"[/quote]

That's the Guy from Star Trek innit?

I'm impressed with how easy it is to lower the action.

All you need is a tenon saw, a clamp, a selection of files, some sandpaper in different grades, a paintbrush and some varnish.

Why did Fender never come up with something like this?

[quote name='Stickman' post='501787' date='May 30 2009, 05:32 PM']Actually I've thought on numerous occasions about making something like this; would be useful when you're out on tour to get some practice time in on the bus.[/quote]
I think it's a nice idea in principle, but surely it wouldn't really be anything like plucking a real, full-scale bass string? The string will move completely differently. I mean, take a look at our French synthy friend above -- imagine if he used a four-finger right-hand technique. His little finger's almost over the fixed point at the end of the string, so it's going to be virtually impossible to make the string move with that finger. He's just going to lose skin trying.

If you're using two fingers on a full-scale bass, the difference in string-feel between the two points at which your fingers make contact is going to be minimal. To a first approximation, they're essentially at the same place on the string, compared to the string's vibrating length, so it's simple to achieve evenness of touch between the two fingers. On the Pocket Picker, your two fingers are spaced apart by about 10% of the string's total length. The string will feel very different at those two points. If you use the Pocket Picker to achieve evenness of touch, you'll have re-trained your fingers to cope with the miniature scale, so you're going to be boned when you pick up your bass.

I could be wrong. I'd like to try one of these things, just to see what it's really like.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='501856' date='May 30 2009, 07:19 PM']I think it's a nice idea in principle, but surely it wouldn't really be anything like plucking a real, full-scale bass string?[/quote]

Of course it would feel different, but what we are looking at is a compromise for where it is not possible to practice with your full-scale bass. I gave the situation of being on a tour bus - I have been known to get some practice in by visuallising a fretboard on my seatbelt!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='501856' date='May 30 2009, 07:19 PM']His little finger's almost over the fixed point at the end of the string, so it's going to be virtually impossible to make the string move with that finger. He's just going to lose skin trying.[/quote]

I can't speak for the intentions of the designers of this particular practice tool but for my own ends I would not be looking to make the string move, after all I'd not be trying to elicit any sound from the device but merely work on the coordination of my fingers with string skipping exercises etc.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='501856' date='May 30 2009, 07:19 PM']On the Pocket Picker, your two fingers are spaced apart by about 10% of the string's total length. The string will feel very different at those two points. If you use the Pocket Picker to achieve evenness of touch, you'll have re-trained your fingers to cope with the miniature scale, so you're going to be boned when you pick up your bass.[/quote]

I know what you are saying and I would want the string as taut as possible to try and minimse the difference in tension along its length. However, I don't think this would be the right tool to use to work on evenness of touch as you can only do that by listening to and comparing the tone that you are producing with each finger - that is only something you can acheive with the real instrument.

[quote name='Stickman' post='501884' date='May 30 2009, 08:19 PM']Of course it would feel different, but what we are looking at is a compromise for where it is not possible to practice with your full-scale bass. I gave the situation of being on a tour bus - I have been known to get some practice in by visuallising a fretboard on my seatbelt!

I can't speak for the intentions of the designers of this particular practice tool but for my own ends I would not be looking to make the string move, after all I'd not be trying to elicit any sound from the device but merely work on the coordination of my fingers with string skipping exercises etc.

I know what you are saying and I would want the string as taut as possible to try and minimse the difference in tension along its length. However, I don't think this would be the right tool to use to work on evenness of touch as you can only do that by listening to and comparing the tone that you are producing with each finger - that is only something you can acheive with the real instrument.[/quote]
I'm with ya now. I guess different people have different needs from their practice tools. I'm currently working on... you guessed it: evenness of touch between my fingers. So naturally, that's the first thing I thought of. :)

Now you've mentioned it, I think it [i]would[/i] be a useful tool for string-skipping exercises. Still too many pennies though. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='501755' date='May 30 2009, 03:37 PM']I'm impressed with how easy it is to lower the action.

All you need is a tenon saw, a clamp, a selection of files, some sandpaper in different grades, a paintbrush and some varnish.

Why did Fender never come up with something like this?[/quote]

They did, it's called a Precision.

[quote name='leschirons' post='501979' date='May 30 2009, 11:25 PM']They did, it's called a Precision.[/quote]

OOOOH BUUURRRRNNNNN :)

I agree with what's being said for the most part- could make this yourself with minimal effort for much less than he's wanting!

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='502875' date='Jun 1 2009, 12:14 PM']The problem I see is that without the weight of a bass behind it the whole thing would move when you tried to pluck it, especially when, as in the picture, trying to play it while it's swinging on a piece of string.[/quote]
Yeah, it relies on you parking your thumb on top, as you might park it on a pickup. If you use a floating thumb, that thing'll be bobbin' around like Virgil Tracy.

Plucking awful.

There was a guitar thing back in the 80's that I thought was better. It looked like a pistol with about 5 frets on it. You gripped it with the pistol handle in your right hand and you could practice scale fingering with your left. Not that I'd have bought that either.

I think that the problem with these things is that

a- it looks naff, like a kids woodwork project

b- it's a 'great' idea that nobody actually wants.

Edited by Golchen