Why become a member? ×

Looking to invest

cris the man

I've been fortunate enough for one of my savings bonds to mature! I should in november, be entitled to £1900. I was thinking... new bass? new rig?
As my ipod shuffled onto tool, i thought it'd be time i invested in some effects.

Im not very experienced in this field at all, so i'll need some help on what to buy.
I was thinking a wah pedal, A sans amp DI box, A chromatic Tuner ( thinking boss), An envelope filter, Boss OC3, Tremolo (not sure which model to go into there) and maybe an EQ pedal.

I'll also need a good power system and perhaps a board.

any thoughts and recommendations are welcome :)

I agree with cheddatom. Multieffects could be much cheaper and give you an idea of what you like/don't like. Then if you want to go down the stompbox route it's a case of buying individual chorus/overdrive/wah etc. after selling the multieffects unit, if you want to.

The Line 6 Bass Floor Pod is outstanding, but leans more towards amp modeling than effects patches.

That said, here are my personal recomendations for your individual pedals -

Wah - Dunlop 105Q - I've been through an Ibanez Weeping Demon, and Morely PBA I and II looking for the perfect bass wah. I love this pedal, it has a little tone suck, but it's not too bad.

Sansamp is a good choice, although if you're not too worried about the DI element look into the VT Bass - similar but more 'old school' tones.

Tuner - I wouldn't go for the boss, I currently have it and am looking to buy the Korg Pitchback soon instead. It's advantages over the Boss are - smaller, cheaper, more accurate (arguably), true bypass, and cooler looking :)

Envelope Filter - Very much personal choice on that one, but think about if you need both a wah and an envelope filter, some people find the two together slightly redundant.

Octaver - The OC3 is a brilliant choice, lots of bassists love this box. I personally prefer the EHX Micro Pog, it tracks flawlessly and does octave up as well as down.

And I have had no experience with either a tremelo or an EQ pedal, but if you go for a modelling unit like the Sansamp or the VT Bass remember that they have a basic but fairly powerful EQ in.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Pearl_Jammin

hmmm, what rig do you have at the moment? I'd say get a decent bass (i.e. worth over £800) and a decent amp (300 watts or over) first, then you can go down the effects route. It worked for me, and I've never looked back. I can now focus all my money on getting a hugggge pedalboard. Speaking of which, home-made pedalboards are no much better than bought ones! :):D::rolleyes::D:D:D

[quote name='iamapirate' post='499706' date='May 28 2009, 11:27 AM']hmmm, what rig do you have at the moment? I'd say get a decent bass (i.e. worth over £800) and a decent amp (300 watts or over) first, then you can go down the effects route. It worked for me, and I've never looked back. I can now focus all my money on getting a hugggge pedalboard. Speaking of which, home-made pedalboards are no much better than bought ones! :):D::rolleyes::D:D:D[/quote]

i suppose so, playing of a hartke 410tp half stack which is ok for now. I saw a good deal on a pedualla MVP bass, 6 string second hand going for £1600 odd. That bass is gorgeous in cherry red

MY guitarist uses a Boss GT-8 , its fantastic.A multi-effects pedal does seem promising, but it'd take me a while to use it. A pedal with the similar idea of patches etc would be fantastic, does the TC multi effects pedal recommended before have the same principle?

If you're looking to invest, buying any of this, or anything else new, is going to lose you a fortune. Resist the lure of all that shiny sh*t, check out your options and then watch for stuff on this forum. That way you shouldn't lose too much.

The market for old Fenders seems to be on the floor at the moment and will pick up at some point.

[quote name='pete.young' post='500284' date='May 28 2009, 09:19 PM']If you're looking to invest, buying any of this, or anything else new, is going to lose you a fortune. Resist the lure of all that shiny sh*t, check out your options and then watch for stuff on this forum. That way you shouldn't lose too much.[/quote]

That's the best advice you've had yet.

If you see something shiny you like, look for demos or reviews on youtube, see if you think the sound would for you. We can't tell you what pedals to buy.

Expect to go through a few filters before you find one you like, maybe a few octavers too (unless you buy an OC-2 first :)). Tremolo is tricky to work on bass unless you get one with a tap tempo feature, and tap-tempo trem pedals get quite expensive.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='500290' date='May 28 2009, 09:30 PM']That's the best advice you've had yet.

If you see something shiny you like, look for demos or reviews on youtube, see if you think the sound would for you. We can't tell you what pedals to buy.

Expect to go through a few filters before you find one you like, maybe a few octavers too (unless you buy an OC-2 first :)). Tremolo is tricky to work on bass unless you get one with a tap tempo feature, and tap-tempo trem pedals get quite expensive.[/quote]

Mate well done! Try and check out the boss GT10b, Fantastic quality FX unit at around £380. Great menue screen and very clean and real sounding Fx in a great looking floor unit.

hmm, not to bad-mouth things on the forum, but I personally woudn't want to spend £3000 odd on things which have NO warrenty covering. Also, (especially with new basses) there's nothing quite like handing over the cash for your first guitar at a shop :). But it's totally up to you, and don't just go and buy te first thing you see. Sometimes it's worth the petrol money going somewhere to get a better deal (i.e. brighton for GAK :rolleyes:)

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='iamapirate' post='500336' date='May 28 2009, 10:13 PM']hmm, not to bad-mouth things on the forum, but I personally woudn't want to spend £3000 odd on things which have NO warrenty covering.[/quote]

Well, he said the fund was £1900, not £3000, but either way: Effects aren't like basses or amps. They're cheaper for a start, and under a grand ought to buy you everything you need unless you get drawn by the allure of boxes made by magic elves who died before the age of man (Musitronics Mu-Tron III, Roland Jet Phaser, Akai Deep Impact, Digitech Bass Whammy, anything from Toneczar, etc.) or Eventide or Moog stuff.

They're also, consequently, more disposable, and it's harder to know if they'll fit into your rig by just trying them in the store. That's why people recommend buying used, because typically you can move stuff on without losing money if it's not for you.

If I'd bought every filter I ever owned new, I would've lost about £300 before I found one I stuck with for more than six months. And that's just filters!

[quote name='pete.young' post='500284' date='May 28 2009, 09:19 PM']If you're looking to invest, buying any of this, or anything else new, is going to lose you a fortune. Resist the lure of all that shiny sh*t, check out your options and then watch for stuff on this forum. That way you shouldn't lose too much.

The market for old Fenders seems to be on the floor at the moment and will pick up at some point.[/quote]

i know, but im only little at the moment. I should be taking my bass palying further, going into A elvel music and then even A degree at uni. I think a multi effects pedal would come in handy as it would give me a bit more control over my sound. The multi effects pedal seems much more promising than a DIY pedal board, correct me if i'm wrong but 1 multi effects pedal would loose less signal than a string of separate pedals?

I'm not buying to not loose money, but to make my bass experience more fun

just been looking into the GT10b, found this video
[url="ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/Videos/GT-10B/videos.html"]ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/Videos/GT-10B/videos.html[/url]

The guy makes me laugh aha!
The GT10b looks as though it has everything i want

Edited by cris the man

• 2 weeks later...

yeah id say get the muli effect - if you're not already massively into effects, something like that will give you a good idea of what you DO want when/if you find that individual pedals are for you.

Fair play about the pedulla, you got the cash, personally even if I had £1,600 to spend, i wouldnt buy a bass for that much until:

I'd had a chance to try if for long enough to know that i wouldnt sell it four months later,

I knew for a fact that somewhere down the line that bass would earn its money back (career-wise)

I'm also immensely paranoid (far too much recreational drug use), and to me, if you're gonna bring an expensive (ie: over £800) bass to a gig, you best be prepared to kill to hold onto it....and i mean it literally. You never know where the next gig might be and who might be in your audience. I was playing a gig once, and some guy had left his 70s fender jazz next to me on stage. I turned up, moved the bass over and thought 'i could run out on this gig and get myself the sweetest bass ill ever play). Never would though, but when opertunity knocks, you never know who will come calling.

[quote name='Dosi Y'Anarchy' post='510741' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:03 PM']air play about the pedulla, you got the cash, personally even if I had £1,600 to spend, i wouldnt buy a bass for that much until:

I'd had a chance to try if for long enough to know that i wouldnt sell it four months later,

I knew for a fact that somewhere down the line that bass would earn its money back (career-wise)[/quote]

Well with some basses you'd get your money back when you re-sold it anyway. But yeah I've never spent over a grand on a bass in 20 years of playing and probably never will.

• 3 months later...

bump
well i got it , but also bought a eden wtx500!

must say sounds just how i wanted, thanks for the recomendations

however...
I've been advised by my uncle to try and set it through 'send and return'
the eden has a send and return socket, but so does the boss pedal?
how should i arrange it? My guitar teacher said try edenSEND to bossRETURN , and bossSEND to edenRETURN, but no luck there
many thanks

[quote name='cris the man' post='609435' date='Sep 26 2009, 06:20 PM']bump
well i got it , but also bought a eden wtx500!

must say sounds just how i wanted, thanks for the recomendations

however...
I've been advised by my uncle to try and set it through 'send and return'
the eden has a send and return socket, but so does the boss pedal?
how should i arrange it? My guitar teacher said try edenSEND to bossRETURN , and bossSEND to edenRETURN, but no luck there
many thanks[/quote]
haha wow suprised you didn't blow up your amp making the mother of all feedback loops.

no need to put your multi effects in the effects loop just plug your bass into the input and then put the output into your amp