Why become a member? ×

Neck thickness... Brands

charic

I like playing on fender and warwick 4 string necks... what other brands are of a similar size? (As you know its not always so easy to find these basses to try in this country). Spectors, Ibanez, Yamaha, ESP and Dean are of SPECIFIC interest... but I would like to know of others too.

RIK

:)

Ibanez used to have a reputation for really skinny pencil necks, have they changed this? Also, the Yam BB basses have considerably thicker necks than the RBX ones -- I tried the two together and the necks were like chalk & cheese. Don't know about the TRBs though.

^ can voice on the BB necks

Played the 614 yesterday, lovely bass, VERY powerful EQ.

But the neck was far too fat for me, im a bit of a jazz boy.

Also, the pickups are HUGE. This means (with my fingerpicking style of the thumb anchored on the pick up) i could barely reach the g string! It was a right nobber, put me right off it, slows down your playing and you have to really think about it.

Parker

I tried a BB (dont know which model) but i wasnt overly impressed by the looks or sound. Yamaha wise the trb1006 is a beautiful neck for me, but thats a six string. RBX was the nicest 5 ive tried (feel/sound) wise. The cheaper one.. wish i could try a 774 and 775 though. Unfortunately only one place locally stocks Yamahas stuff round here. They have a bad reputation with some of the dealers as they give online stores such a large discount (apparently).

I am fortunate enough to own or have played all but the Deans and Spectors you mention.

If you like the "P" neck profile, try;

Yamaha BB series or the Attitudes
Ibanez ATKs

Otherwise,

Yamaha RBXs might prove too skinny, and TRBs too broad and flat
Most Ibanez may feel too slim, especially up by the nut (SR, SRX, Ergodyne etc)

Otherwise, try before you buy!

Alternatively, can you alter your technique? I can tolerate all of the above easily enough. I only struggled with a TRB6 as it felt [i]so[/i] unfamiliar. Given time, I'd have become used to it. I only have average sized hands.
That said, Warwick Thumbs and Infinities feel odd because of the 26 frets and the way the short upper horn "throws" the first fret so far away.

Funnily enough I could play a trb1006 as easily as my 4 string p bass (work that one out!).

My peavey has a very thin neck and it gets REALLY uncomfortable to play for some reason. Its almost like a cramp in my hand. Yet with my pbass I have literally played non stop for around 5 hours without my hand really getting tired or aching.