Why become a member? ×

Danelectro basses

Dante

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Danelectro '63 long scale bass. I love the styling of Danelectro and the reviews are positive but I wondered if anyone out their in the world of basschat has played/owned one and what they thought of it.

Dante. . .

I have both the Hodad and the DC and they are fantastic for the money if limited in tones. The Hodad is a little bit more conventional has a six position pickup switch and has some really good sounds in it. The Dc has little sustain but is brilliant at what it does. Both look absolutely fantastic.

I think Dan basses are best tested first to see if you like them but I don't regret either of my purchases.

I've got the short scale.

Nice neck and pretty good sound. The plywood body is a bit of a block and the bridge is quite a poor design. The white tape surrounding the body peeled away within a couple of weeks from purchase. It's nice and light. Cheap and cheerful.

I have one of the original korean reissue blueburst longhorns - quite a faithful reissue of an original 50s one, but with separate tuners and a truss rod. It fits in a telecaster gigbag or hardcase which is handy. The wide spacing of the lipstick pickups gives a unique tone. The neck is a bit meatier than my CIJ mustang in depth, but still quite narrow. Its comfy to play though and light as a feather. The bridge saddle on mine is a single wedge of rosewood, but with rotosound shortscale flats (the only flats I've found that fit) it intonates well enough for me. I don't use mine much and have only done a few gigs with it, so even though its a few years old it is still pretty much in mint condition.

I've had a re-issue Longhorn for around 3 years (I think it's 7 or 8 years old in total). It's incredibly light, very good fun, plays extremely easily with very low action and string tension (it's short-scale), but the build quality and hardware aren't brilliant and the sound isn't great. It's a cheap and cheerful but very cool instrument - I'd wanted one since seeing them on TOTP in the '60s.

[quote name='Dante' post='491770' date='May 18 2009, 07:40 PM']Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Danelectro '63 long scale bass. I love the styling of Danelectro and the reviews are positive but I wondered if anyone out their in the world of basschat has played/owned one and what they thought of it.

Dante. . .[/quote]

I've got one! A black longneck.

Its a really nice bass once you set it up properly, although the neck really does sometimes feels quite long. The sound is very good, especially played with a pick, and I have a matching '63 guitar as well. Only trouble is, I never play them any more, so will be selling them @ £250 the pair soon!

Bob