Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 1980's Rare Korean Manufacture

I dont know anything about this bass but i have an 89 Korean Telecaster guitar which is superbly made. If the bass is made to the same standard, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I was in the market for one. 

As I understand it, the Korean factories  inthe mid to late 80s made some great stuff. Quality started dropping off early 90s

My late father had a fender badged telecaster made in Korea of a similar vintage, was closer to a squire rather than a Japan made fender. 

On 19/05/2024 at 13:04, lemmywinks said:

They had some made in the Cortek factory under the Lite Ash series, the E serial number would indicate a Samick (I think) who made some Squiers.

I think this is a Young-Chang bass, iirc they took over the Squier contract from Fujigen when manufacture started moving to Korea. Didn't know there were MIK Fenders from this era, though.

Young-Chang lost the Squier contract when they started selling the same instruments under their own Fenix brand - which also have E-prefix serials but don't appear to date in line with the Squiers, or indeed Fenders.

Apropos of nowt, this has Gotoh GB1 tuners, as used on many '80s MIJ Squiers & Fenders.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I think this is a Young-Chang bass, iirc they took over the Squier contract from Fujigen when manufacture started moving to Korea. Didn't know there were MIK Fenders from this era, though.

Young-Chang lost the Squier contract when they started selling the same instruments under their own Fenix brand - which also have E-prefix serials but don't appear to date in line with the Squiers, or indeed Fenders.

Apropos of nowt, this has Gotoh GB1 tuners, as used on many '80s MIJ Squiers & Fenders.

So would an E serial be Young Chang and an S serial always be Samick then?

On 22/05/2024 at 12:45, lemmywinks said:

So would an E serial be Young Chang and an S serial always be Samick then?

On MIK instruments I think so - I had an E serial MIK Squier Bullet which turned out to be YC, and AFAIK Samick use the S serial prefix on everything, regardless of brand.

• Thanks 1