Why become a member? ×

Logic Pro 11 Coming on Monday 13 May 2024

Just seen this: https://www.soundonsound.com/news/apple-logic-pro-11-incoming

Logic pro 11 will be available on Monday — 13 May and will include a few new goodies including Bass & Keyboard equivalents to the drummer track, Stem splitter, and a new saturation plugin.

The cost will be £199, but the best part is that it will be a free upgrade for existing users.

It looks like the new keyboard player plugin is going to be limited to piano, but I hope it gets extended to include hammond organ styles also as I would probably enjoy playing with that.

I already own RipX for splitting songs into stems for remixing old recordings or rehearsal / gig recordings from the zoom H2n, so it will be interesting to see how the Logic splitter compares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The Stem splitter looks a bit basic at the moment. Doesn't even have a Guitar category by the looks of it, but I expect it will develope over time. I too use RipX at the moment but it will be great to have this function built in. 

Ive just ordered a new iPad Pro as my old one came out just before they went over to the M chip. I tend to use my iPad a lot more than my MacBook but it looks like at least two of the new features on the iPad version need at least the M1 (same with the Mac version).

Edited by dave_bass5

14 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

It looks like the new keyboard player plugin is going to be limited to piano, but I hope it gets extended to include hammond organ styles also as I would probably enjoy playing with that.

But if it's like the Drummer plug-in once it's producing a performance that's close to what you want you'll be able to render it as MIDI and assign any instrument you like to it. I realise that the style might be "piano-y" but you never know where it will take you inspiration-wise.

One of the more interesting "hacks" I've seen with Drummer is to replace the drum-kit with an arpeggiator synth sound, which has produced the initial inspiration for one song that I've written recently.

However I won't be upgrading yet as my Mac is too old and I'm stuck at Logic X 10.4.8

I see the current policy of Apple with their applications is aimed at driving new hardware sales which is where the real money is.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to it! I am also aware that when I retire and return my mac book to the IT dept that I will have quite a hefty bill to buy something even remotely close to what I have now. 

Posted (edited)

It’s live on Apple’s website now, inc a demo. 
Looking forward to trying the session guys out. Gotta be better than the musicians in my band 😂

EDIT: Well it  seems like its not quite live just yet, although the page has been updated 😕

Edited by dave_bass5

Still waiting for the upgrade. Have to head out to rehearsal shortly so I'll probably get the upgrade when I get back.

If you want to upgrade, but retain the option of being able to roll back to the previous version in case of issues, go to applications in finder, right click on the Logic Pro.app and click on [Compress "Logic Pro.app"] to create a zip archive of your current version.

I've almost completely managed to wean myself off using third party plugins so I'm not worried about incompatibilites.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Still waiting for the upgrade. Have to head out to rehearsal shortly so I'll probably get the upgrade when I get back.

If you want to upgrade, but retain the option of being able to roll back to the previous version in case of issues, go to applications in finder, right click on the Logic Pro.app and click on [Compress "Logic Pro.app"] to create a zip archive of your current version.

I've almost completely managed to wean myself off using third party plugins so I'm not worried about incompatibilites.

Yeah i only use Ozone 11 and a couple of Waves plug-ins. The rest are just stock. 

I've used the 'archive' method so I can run both 10.8 and 11 on the same machine, just to be on the safe side. I've just upgraded the 'main copy' to 11 and everything seems to be working as it should do. I'll have more time to play with the new functions over the next day or so. On description alone, I can't see anything that won't be a benefit to my job in some way. I SO used to hate LP9 and now between this and Davinci Resolve, I feel incredobly fortunate to have these tools at my disposal every day! 

I suppose my review videos are just gonna have to get even better now! ha ha!!!

I’m also a big fan of DaVinci Resolve. I brought it when i was doing our demos last year, and while i started off in FCP i found DR so much easier to use. 
I do have it on my iPad Pro as well but that’s a 2020 iPad so hasn’t got an M

chip in it. 
What with that and the new features in LP on iPad needing an M chip i guess tomorrow I’ll be right up to date 😀

• Like 1

I have just tried the stem splitter function LP11 on last night's rehearsal recording. My initial impression is that the resultant stems are as good as or possibly a bit cleaner than those from RipX. Certainly the bass has most of its tone rather than being an indistinct rumble and there is very little of the bass left on the guitar track. The drums and vocals are very clean. RipX does a lot more, but I've found that it is quite time consuming and often confusing to use the editing features so I have only been using it as a simple stem splitter lately, so it looks like yhis is going to speed up my workflow as I can do everything I need to right within Logic Pro.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’m also a big fan of DaVinci Resolve. I brought it when i was doing our demos last year, and while i started off in FCP i found DR so much easier to use. 
I do have it on my iPad Pro as well but that’s a 2020 iPad so hasn’t got an M

chip in it. 
What with that and the new features in LP on iPad needing an M chip i guess tomorrow I’ll be right up to date 😀

I've got a Speed Editor for Resolve and I've just picked up a cheeky deal on a secondhand StreamDeck. (I've been using a demo of the iPad version and it has massively sped up my workflow). I'm loving the tools I have at my disposal right now! 

- Not to mention many of the plugin deals I have picked up here or in FB groups, it's absolutely bonkers to think what we can do 'in the box' now versus when I first started as a'recording artist'. Blows my mind and I love it! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dood said:

I've got a Speed Editor for Resolve and I've just picked up a cheeky deal on a secondhand StreamDeck. (I've been using a demo of the iPad version and it has massively sped up my workflow). I'm loving the tools I have at my disposal right now! 

- Not to mention many of the plugin deals I have picked up here or in FB groups, it's absolutely bonkers to think what we can do 'in the box' now versus when I first started as a'recording artist'. Blows my mind and I love it! 

Ive not used the Speed editor, but do have a Streamdeck for my Mac. Fantastic time savers. I did have the one with the knobs for a couple of weeks but found i couldnt really use them in the way i hoped i could so sent it back. 

I mostly use my ipad when i can, and it sits in the upright position in the Smart Keyboard case on my lap. Im going to miss that keyboard when i get the new ipad. So i really dont have or want anything hanging off it, although i do sometimes use a SSD when im doing editing. 

I just tried the Stem Splitter on my new M4 iPad Pro. Blown away that it split a 2 1/2 hour rehearsal in under 5 mins. I do wish it had Guitar and Other, rather than lumping the guitars with keys etc, but the speed is nothing to complain about. 

Still waiting to try it no my M1 MBP. I use the demo so need to wait for a new version. 

I've had a play with it now, was expecting more of an overhaul of the UI given the move from 10 to 11 but I guess I'm happy its mostly just polished here and there.

Had a go of the stem splitter on one of my own tracks, and I'm actually really impressed with how the drums and vocals came out in a pretty dense metal mix.  Bass not very useable and having everything else lumped as "guitar" is a shame, but it has potential.