Why become a member? ×

Quick USA Importing Question

spongebob

I've just managed to snare my dream bass on E-bay, from the USA.

I've worked out the cost of purchase, shipping, etc, with the conversion before buying.

However - when it comes to the customs charges and VAT - do I have to pay on a used instrument? I've already budgeted for a big lump on top!

Are there any tips here? What can I get the seller to mark it as to help reduce the cost?

Any ideas here welcome! :)

Yes mate, I bought the Bass in my pic from the US for $1000 mint second hand, pound was 2 to1 at the time so a bargain, same guitar here was £1400. Had to pay between £50-£70 custom duty, can't quite remember as I've had a few guitars from the US. I've bought guitar parts and never had to pay any duty on them but deffo paid for guitars every time.

Edited by PURPOLARIS

VAT has been reduced, but if you work out the price paid for the bass PLUS the cost of shipping in dollars, convert that to GBP and multiple by 20% you should be within £20 or so of your doorstep price.

[rant]The fact that I have to pay duty on shipping - a service sourced and provided outside of the UK - still irks me! Surely we should just pay the duty on the cost of shipping from import hub to door. [/rant]

I've imported 3 basses in last few years all at $2:£1 so haven't done it for a while. If it's a bolt on and comes without a hard case get the guy to remove the neck - this reduces the volumetric weight for shipping hugely and you'll save a bundle.

Adding 20 - 22% to the price + shipping usually comes in at what it'll cost by the time you get it home.

[quote name='spongebob' date='May 17 2009, 05:26 PM' post='490682']
I've just managed to snare my dream bass on E-bay, from the USA.

I've worked out the cost of purchase, shipping, etc, with the conversion before buying.

However - when it comes to the customs charges and VAT - do I have to pay on a used instrument? I've already budgeted for a big lump on top!

Are there any tips here? What can I get the seller to mark it as to help reduce the cost?

Any ideas here welcome! :)
[/quo

By the way, what Bass did you get ?