Why become a member? ×

Darling buds of the May Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Posted (edited)

A close run campaign for the April certificate was only split by a single vote, enabling @AndyTravis  to receive another presentation by @Dad3353 for the prize.

So early off the mark this morning Andy thus sent me the following image ...

"There we go - spaced out, ejected etc "

image.png.6c83ee0df5a0c26e9dbae5c31f5bf159.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes/panpipes, everyone had the chance last month's previous month, so there!

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline-wise, we will go for Midnight on the 25th (I'll get up sharpish on the 26th if I can ! ) 

A line or two of blurb as usual for the vote thread will be super smashing. 

Good luck, Have fun 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

well who'd a thunk it 

first in with a silly soundscape 

Ibby 6 string through a couple of waves gtr3 patches , loads of synth type sounds from the digital pianola and a couple of samples from Freesound modified a bit. 

I've made a start on some Mutant Jazz, to follow on from Mutant Disco last month...

So far we've got a bass improvisation to a 140bpm click track, plus drums - which I've built up from individual brush/cymbal/rim/drum sounds - they're 16 tracks!

Next it's keys, guitar then found samples.

Be Afraid!!!

• Haha 1

https://on.soundcloud.com/objzcrxnvWymRRYS8

yay! 

Really happy with this. 

Just love the Shergold doing its thing, have demoed this for the band and we played it on Bank Holiday Monday. 

Just struck me that it’s a May composition, the first lyric the singer put to it started with “Home Again” so I thought of the man ejected into space wanting to be home again…

Posted (edited)

Here's Event Horizon, where I aimed for a 70s Krautrock feel. It is is about looking into, and being pulled over the Event Horizon of a black hole which might actually be a wormhole into a parallel universe.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
better mix uploaded
  • Like 1

I done some jazz!

A chaotic riposte to James Blood Ulmer's "Jazz is the Teacher, Funk is the Preacher"; this is The Creature! 

This started life as a bass improvisation over a 140bpm click track... Bits of guitar (Strat and Gretsch) were added and layered, plus various keyboard VSTs (clavinet, rhodes). Finally some brass ensemble VST to hold it together and trumpet samples found at Loopmasters to give it more spice. The drums were assembled using 16 tracks of individual brush/cymbal/hi-hat/tom sounds from Ableton's Loopmasters jazz drums sample bank. Most tracks ever used too - 36!

All mixed in Doblies with a smearing of Neutron 3 and Ozone 9, guitars going through Bias FX and bass as recorded apart from a spot of small-room reverb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the old 'Catchphrase' mantra, I've sung what I've seen !!   T-bird bass, squire guitar keyboards and vocals all my undoing with MT drums trying  to keep me in time !

Another pc breakdown has caused a loss of plugins and vst's (and loss of sanity on my part), so created in Reaper using all the stock plug-ins.

Anyway, it was still good fun......