Why become a member? ×

Fattening up sound for 3 piece

Blue_floyd20

On 21/04/2024 at 10:59, ASW said:

I also find it helps to make sure the drummer is doing their bit to fill out the sound during more intense sections of songs like the solo to the Darkness song. A few extra hits on cymbals or opening up the hi hats can make all the difference.

this can be brilliant - doesn't have to be more though. Can back off and then come back in harder. 

A lot of drummers think dynamics are all about going louder / more complex than the normal! They need to learn that going quieter and simplifying have just as much a dramatic effect.

The late Vinny Paul of Pantera was fantastic at this. Sometimes the guitar and bass would stay absolutely the same through 12 bars and yet every 2 or 4 bars the feel of the tune would be completely different, even to the point that it felt like the tempo had doubled. It hadn't, it was all in the drum arrangement. He really understood how to do that and he backed off just as much as he pushed forward.

30 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

this can be brilliant - doesn't have to be more though. Can back off and then come back in harder. 

A lot of drummers think dynamics are all about going louder / more complex than the normal! They need to learn that going quieter and simplifying have just as much a dramatic effect.

The late Vinny Paul of Pantera was fantastic at this. Sometimes the guitar and bass would stay absolutely the same through 12 bars and yet every 2 or 4 bars the feel of the tune would be completely different, even to the point that it felt like the tempo had doubled. It hadn't, it was all in the drum arrangement. He really understood how to do that and he backed off just as much as he pushed forward.

Not just drummers needing to learn that. I've always worked on the principal that if you never turn it down, you can never turn it back up again and that's a big mistake.

• Like 3

I use three pedals;

TC Electronic Spectracomp with the Captain East toneprint (it has a 30% blend). 
Aguilar Octamizer with a minimum amount of octave blended in. 
TC Electronic HoF with a small hall reverb toneprint with slight chorus added. 

Dusty Hill used to have a microPOG on all the time, with a Thumpinator after it to stop anything lower than an A getting through.

It was on the Rig Rundown when Elwood was still the tech.

It was set to just have a tiny bit of the octave happening and he never turned it off.

Ever since I watched that I've had an Octave and a Thumpinator on my board.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Dusty Hill used to have a microPOG on all the time, with a Thumpinator after it to stop anything lower than an A getting through.

It was on the Rig Rundown when Elwood was still the tech.

It was set to just have a tiny bit of the octave happening and he never turned it off.

Ever since I watched that I've had an Octave and a Thumpinator on my board.

That is with the octaver and thumbinator running in a parallel signal path, or?

And A0 or A1?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Maybe there was a reason Ashdown put the Octave button on their amps after all. Can't say I ever used it (ive had a few of their amps with it). 

As they went to all that trouble they could have at least made it a good octave.

Maybe it was a Friday...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1