Why become a member? ×

Rebuilding worn out vintage pots

ebenezer

I'd keep them on one side and if you sell it you can mention you still have them, then anyone with concerns about it could easily solder them in.

I would take quite a lot of convincing that replacing the new ones with the old ones would make a positive difference to the sound. I'd guess they were replaced as the conductive track had started to wear out meaning they were crackling or dropping out. Pots wear out over time.

• Like 2

I have not seen the video but having disassembled a number of vintage pots, I would say put them to one side and fit new ones. The problem is that as the pots are used, the tracks become worn. The carbon tracks get a groove  worn in them and the pot wiper wears out. There is little that you can do to change this. My advice is to replace them with new, Conductive Plastic pots. These are much longer lasting. They cost more than carbon pots (although probably cheaper than CTS pots) but they will probably last  much longer.

• Like 2