Why become a member? ×

Buying old basses

Nos

1 hour ago, Nos said:

Thanks for the feedback, probably worth waiting for a decent MIG one to come up then. There’s a nice looking fortress one on marketplace but too far to travel and try it for me at the moment and not keen on buying a bass I haven’t played before

There’s a black Corvette for £500 on Reverb. It’s been there a while. The seller claims that it’s been serviced and restored to “like new”. You can clearly see that close up that is not the case, but it could be worth a look. 

Fortress is a good choice, I have one, great bass.

I have two older Warwicks, a 1987 Streamer and a 2003 Thumb, so both over 20 years old. They’re solid, very high quality instruments and should last for years and years. My Streamer has some fret wear but they can probably be redressed before they have to be replaced. And I replaced the truss rod two years ago, that was a 15 minute fix. Just beware that the old one-way truss rods can be difficult to find.

I got the Thumb a couple of months ago and it can’t have been played much, it feels brand new with no wear at all, just a couple of nicks in the body. 

I’m still looking for another Warwick, I’ve got to have a neck-through Thumb sometime :) 

My sister has a 90s 5 string Thumb that she discovered has a stripped truss-rod nut. Apparently in an effort to alleviate the neck-dive they specified an alloy nut, and this is a known issue. I don't know how difficult that would be to fix. If you want to have a go, make an offer.

1 hour ago, bremen said:

My sister has a 90s 5 string Thumb that she discovered has a stripped truss-rod nut. Apparently in an effort to alleviate the neck-dive they specified an alloy nut, and this is a known issue. I don't know how difficult that would be to fix. If you want to have a go, make an offer.

Thumb has always been on my dream list but out of my price range. Could possibly get that fixed depending how bad it is any idea what she’d want for it and any pics?

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Depending on which model you want it might be worth looking for a second hand MiK model. My MiK StarBass was superior in pretty much every way to all the MiG versions I had tried.

Think I’ll need to play a few to get a better idea and keep the research going - thanks for the input

2 hours ago, Nos said:

Think I’ll need to play a few to get a better idea and keep the research going - thanks for the input

👆🏻that.

We can all give our opinions, but we’re not choosing a bass, you are, and your requirements are very much down to you alone. 

Keep searching, take your time, and ask as many questions on the forum as you like.

53 minutes ago, Rayman said:

👆🏻that.

We can all give our opinions, but we’re not choosing a bass, you are, and your requirements are very much down to you alone. 

Keep searching, take your time, and ask as many questions on the forum as you like.

Yep and I’ve already learnt a lot from the conversation so far so it’s been really useful. I know everyone has opinions and preferences but gleaning the issues to look for and insights into others thoughts on this has helped so far - thanks all, the research and hunt continues 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Where are you? A friend of mine has an LX for sale in North Hertfordshire. 

Currently on FB. 

I’m in North Devon

I've an '97 Fortress and an '02 Infinity SN.

The 2nd fret on the Fortress B string  (C#, metal boys!) is a little flattened and could do with reshaping. Other than that, it's great.

The Infinity, less so, but only because Warwick were using lower quality parts.

I had 2 E- string tuners strip their gears and spit out their tuning posts, and the JAN III fell apart like they all do. 

Tuners replaced with licensed Hipshots. Brass JAN II now on nut duty.

In summary,  hardware more of an issue on 00's basses, but nothing beyond the realms of DIY.

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I've an '97 Fortress and an '02 Infinity SN.

The 2nd fret on the Fortress B string  (C#, metal boys!) is a little flattened and could do with reshaping. Other than that, it's great.

The Infinity, less so, but only because Warwick were using lower quality parts.

I had 2 E- string tuners strip their gears and spit out their tuning posts, and the JAN III fell apart like they all do. 

Tuners replaced with licensed Hipshots. Brass JAN II now on nut duty.

In summary,  hardware more of an issue on 00's basses, but nothing beyond the realms of DIY.

Wouldn't an 02 Infinity have a JAN II on it, and were there brass JAN IIs or did you mean the later brass JAN III? Mine are all original JANs (plus a couple of other basses I've put original JANs on) so I haven't got any first hand knowledge of JAN IIs and IIIs.

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Just spoke to Lee  - he hasn't been contacted. 

Have you just joined the group?

Joined yesterday, got accepted today. Was that link to a specific listing as it just took me to the group?

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

Wouldn't an 02 Infinity have a JAN II on it, and were there brass JAN IIs or did you mean the later brass JAN III? Mine are all original JANs (plus a couple of other basses I've put original JANs on) so I haven't got any first hand knowledge of JAN IIs and IIIs.

Yeah.  Got my Is, IIs and IIIs mixed up.

Fortress has an original brass I.

Infinity started out with a II, and now has a brass III..

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

A specific bass - LX4 I believe. 

He's moved to 5ers.

I’ll have search on there as that never took me to a specific listing - Thanks though