Why become a member? ×

Origin Effects Cali76 CB V2

bassace97

Makes me chuckle a little how many Compact Bass pedals have popped up since this was announced, prices not much less than new.  GAS is a terrible thing! :D 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Kev said:

Makes me chuckle a little how many Compact Bass pedals have popped up since this was announced, prices not much less than new.  GAS is a terrible thing! :D 

… I did mention that at the start of the thread lol! Think the V2 are around £300 or so new, so a V1 for £200 is ok. I’m always surprised how some pedals hold their used values so well.

Thing is I’ll probably end up getting a V2 alongside the V1 I already have at some point lol, I think I like collecting comps 😆

Edited by jimbobothy

35 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

… I did mention that at the start of the thread lol! Think the V2 are around £300 or so new, so a V1 for £200 is ok. I’m always surprised how some pedals hold their used values so well.

Thing is I’ll probably end up getting a V2 alongside the V1 I already have at some point lol, I think I like collecting comps 😆

Are you winning the comp collecting comp?

• Haha 1

I'm sure it's gotta be 99% emperor's new clothes for those who are upgrading.  I'd definitely go for a V2 if I was in the market for a comp, but never if I already had a V1.  The metering is nice, but also in an odd way an admission you didn't really know how to set it before? 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

IME comps are almost as subjective as drives; people hear, 'feel' and prefer different aspects of the what they do to our signals, if we really 'hear' it at all(!). In this respect, they're more subtle than many other effects, like octavers for example, which are either analog/digital, up/down, track well/don't. Perhaps this is why the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome affects comps and drives so often, dividing opinion and ultimately having us move them around like hot cakes? Studio work is a different kettle of fish but then engineers' bewildering array of rack units - that I can't begin to understand - have always done those jobs for me. 

I've been caught in the buying and selling cycle many times and sure enough, the new 'high-end' (invariably pricey) comp fails to excite and is first on the chopping block when the next sparkly box drops. That said, I have a visceral desire for the new Cali in blue 🤣

• Haha 1

On 08/05/2024 at 21:48, Kev said:

I'm sure it's gotta be 99% emperor's new clothes for those who are upgrading.  I'd definitely go for a V2 if I was in the market for a comp, but never if I already had a V1.  The metering is nice, but also in an odd way an admission you didn't really know how to set it before? 😅

I think you're missing the most important point.

It's got flashing lights!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5