Why become a member? ×

NBD: P bass to complete the Leo trinity

uk_lefty

I think I sold my MIJ P bass during COVID to finance an MIJ Jazz that I really should have hung on to. The Stingray has been with me for years now, five years maybe? Anyhow, I've never had all three types of bass at once. I fancied a precision so bought this beaut from @kevham who is a true gent and I've now bought two basses from him. 

Black and maple Player P bass. Classic look, classic sound. I'm starting to use more drive and distortion and need to play with a pick for more songs so it was a good excuse. Just need to fit a D tuner (already purchased from Bass Direct) then decide later what strings I want, rounds, flats or tapes.... Really high output from the stock pickups in the two minutes noodle I've had.

PXL_20240320_104522636.MP.jpg

PXL_20240320_104746876.jpg

• Like 12

So glad it arrived safe and sound. I had a hipshot d-tuner on it! The reason it took so long for me to sell was I was waiting for a d-tuner for my American P-bass. I always try and take the Hipshots off and keep them because I know I will eventually get another bass that it fits.

Anyway, it's a great bass - in some ways better than the American twin that has replaced it (neck is slightly thinner). Hope you enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

Took it to practice last night with a hipshot d tuner fitted. Really big, thick, meaty bass sound. I haven't directly compared but I think the output is a lot stronger than my US Jazz.

Playing a precision after a few years without one just proves that if anyone tells you using the neck pup on a jazz "gives you a precision" they are completely and utterly wrong. Or trying to sell you a jazz.

• Like 5

The sound from the neck pickup on a Jazz 'resembles' a P pickup but I find the P generally has more lower mids and because you can adjust the height of the two parts independently , you can get a fuller more even sound.

• Like 2

Agree, it’s similar and adding in about 30% of the bridge pickup brings in some mids getting nearer the Precision sound but its not quite there, pretty much like decaf, similar but not exactly the same.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2024 at 01:36, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Very nice. 

Now you need a G&L of some sort...

Perhaps an SB-2  or an L-1000?

If it’s his best designs then it’s the L2000 surely.  I wanted to say “iconic designs” but, other than amongst G&L fans (of which I’m one) I don’t feel the L2K has quite got there.

I'm enjoying the punch from this. I need to put on my preferred strings. Going to replace the bridge with a BBOT and add ashtrays. I've also got some Sadowsky lightweight tuners which will hopefully fit. I wouldn't change the pickup, it's perfect stock. 

PXL_20240320_143812828.MP.jpg

I had a Player Precision as backup to my US Precisions, I also used it for overseas gigs and kept it in Germany for a while. When I got it I thought I`d have to change the pickup but was very pleasantly surprised with how good it was, no change needed. I think I kept everything on it stock aside from putting a Hipshot triple string retainer on in place of the traditional string tree, to add better stability to the A string.