Why become a member? ×

Best Wireless System

Hi All, 

im looking at a wireless system to use live and practise going forward and wondered what you all recommend.

The Shure GLXD16 seems to be the gold standard and a great package but expensive. 

The line 6 systems seem good for the price but Iv been told to steer clear of them if you have an active bass.

Iv seen this new system by NUX that has a tuner and charging station as part of the package which seems cool but very few reviews yet.

https://www.nuxaudio.com/b8.html

If anyone has any recommendations or advice please let me know 

Thanks

Rick

To minimise the amount of kit I carry about I use a Nux system which is just two bugs, one for bass & one for amp. Works on 5.8 too, so no taxis or pizzas interference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rick05 said:

Hi All, 

im looking at a wireless system to use live and practise going forward and wondered what you all recommend.

The Shure GLXD16 seems to be the gold standard and a great package but expensive. 

The line 6 systems seem good for the price but Iv been told to steer clear of them if you have an active bass.

Iv seen this new system by NUX that has a tuner and charging station as part of the package which seems cool but very few reviews yet.

https://www.nuxaudio.com/b8.html

If anyone has any recommendations or advice please let me know 

Thanks

Rick

I’m selling my Shure GLXD16+ on here 

Best system ever but I need the funds !! 

House move pending 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

To minimise the amount of kit I carry about I use a Nux system which is just two bugs, one for bass & one for amp. Works on 5.8 too, so no taxis or pizzas interference.

+1^^

In case you've not seen - this is was quite a comprehensive thread: Which wireless? - Accessories and Misc - Basschat

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rick05 said:

Who by, and why? I only have active basses and I use a Line 6 G50 (among others) with no problems. In fact, I don't have problems with any of my wirelesses - Line 6 G50, Smoothhound, Lekato WS-50, Harley Benton Airborne Pro. Of these, the first two use the 2.4GHz band and the second two the 5.8GHz band. If you're just going into an amp or using a single pedal, a rechargeable bug type is more convenient as you don't have to set up a power supply for the receiver. If you're using a pedalboard, a base unit receiver with power supply is more convenient as you don't have to recharge it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Who by, and why? I only have active basses and I use a Line 6 G50 (among others) with no problems. In fact, I don't have problems with any of my wirelesses - Line 6 G50, Smoothhound, Lekato WS-50, Harley Benton Airborne Pro. Of these, the first two use the 2.4GHz band and the second two the 5.8GHz band. If you're just going into an amp or using a single pedal, a rechargeable bug type is more convenient as you don't have to set up a power supply for the receiver. If you're using a pedalboard, a base unit receiver with power supply is more convenient as you don't have to recharge it.

I found this site saying that a few from boss and line 6 had issues with active pickups.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/best-guitar-wireless-systems#section-best-for-pedalboards

23 hours ago, Rick05 said:

I found this site saying that a few from boss and line 6 had issues with active pickups.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/best-guitar-wireless-systems#section-best-for-pedalboards

That's because they're simpletons who don't understand how to circumvent the issue (well, it's Guitarworld so what do you expect). Certain wireless units have stereo jack plugs which are how they're charged (not the vast majority of Line 6 devices). Active basses almost always use a stereo jack socket in order to switch them on - the ring and sleeve are connected to ground and battery negative respectively. I think these rechargeable bugs will work with basses which are wired one way round (eg. ground to sleeve and battery negative to earth) but not the other way round.

Ah, just found this on the page for the Boss WL-50: "*1 The typical TRS output jack wiring of guitar active circuit is audio to tip, ground to sleeve, and battery ground to ring. In rare cases where ring and sleeve are wired reversely, the guitar active circuit doesn't work properly with the WL-T." - https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by_product/wl-50/support_documents/eade711c-1f5a-4951-988b-e8e863611c64/

There are two ways to circumvent this, if you have an active bass which is incompatible with the bug. The first method is simply to switch the wires to the jack socket over. This does require very minor surgery on the bass - anyone who can wield a screwdriver and soldering iron without impaling themselves and suffering third degree burns can manage it. The other is to get a short extension lead, mono jack socket to mono jack plug, plug the wireless into one end and the other end into the bass.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/03/2024 at 10:37, Rick05 said:

Anybody can say whatever they want, and a lot of people talk out of their rear ends.

Been using Line6 wireless since 2009 with mostly active basses. I see them in use by a wide range of people playing a wide range of instruments. You'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Anybody can say whatever they want, and a lot of people talk out of their rear ends.

Been using Line6 wireless since 2009 with mostly active basses. I see them in use by a wide range of people playing a wide range of instruments. You'll be fine.

Thanks. I ended up going for the Shure in the end as I wanted the tuner bass but agree, I would have definitely tried it  to see if the line 6 how it worked and confirm for myself 

• Like 1

I use the GLX16D+ and have experienced some wifi issues in larger venues (5k+) with lots of wifi around.  A lot of the pros seem to use Shure Axient - I think that's my next move for reliability.

47 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I use the GLX16D+ and have experienced some wifi issues in larger venues (5k+) with lots of wifi around.  A lot of the pros seem to use Shure Axient - I think that's my next move for reliability.

Did you channel scan before performing? 

2 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Did you channel scan before performing? 

Yes, multiple times.  I blame congested wifi - never had any issues in smaller venues but it's the larger ones where you get the most benefit out of going wireless.  I bought the system as I saw Simon McBride was using the same thing on the Deep Purple tour but just not quite confident in it.