Why become a member? ×

When the venue booker's intelligence is ... erm ... artificial?

In today through the Lemonrock enquiry system:

"I hope this email finds you well. My name is **** ******, and I am the manager of a pub located in ************. As we are exploring opportunities to diversify our live events offerings, I recently stumbled upon your profile and found it intriguing.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with information regarding your pricing structure for live performances. Understanding your rates would greatly assist us in evaluating potential collaborations and aligning them with our budgetary considerations.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your time and consideration. Please contact me on blah blah blah
"

First thing to note is that this is not a joke post. That's a cut & paste (anonymised, of course) from the email.

Second thing to note is that those of you who haven't had office-based careers may imagine that this is what business correspondence looks like. It doesn't. In a 45-year career dealing with business correspondence of all sorts, I can't remember ever receiving anything quite as jargon-laden and turgid as this.

Resisting the temptation to reply "We believe in peeling the onion by directionifying our key performance indicators into a transitional enhanced profitability status" @Silvia Bluejay replied seriously and honestly. In a reasonably long email about what we do and what we charge she used the phrase "cash on the night".

A reply was received within seconds, mentioning the online payment system used by this pub's owners.

Hmmmmm.

And again, hmmmmmm.

And thrice, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Haha 5

It reminds me of emails I used to get when I worked in the civil service from people who thought that big words, official sounding phrases and jargon all wrapped up in a formal setting made them appear important. The really decent manager/leaders (there were a few) never wrote like that so it was easy to spot the pseuds. But in the context you're quoting, it may well be artificial. Intelligent - nope! 😃

• Like 2

Note the subtle change in tone when a human enters the conversation ...

"hello,

would you please let me know which Saturdays from April onward is your band available. Really keen to book them in "

😂

• Like 1

An increasing number of YT videos have the voiceover given by AI. It's obvious. Worse are the ones - I've particularly noticed this with equipment review videos - where the text is obviously AI generated as well as being 'spoken' by AI. These videos are awful since all they do is pick up the advertising fluff from the manufacturer's web site and regurgitate it. You then get people saying 'great review, thanks' etc. Those responses seem to come from people with English as a second language so possibly they don't pick up on it being 'fake' the way a native speaker would.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

An increasing number of YT videos have the voiceover given by AI. It's obvious. Worse are the ones - I've particularly noticed this with equipment review videos - where the text is obviously AI generated as well as being 'spoken' by AI. These videos are awful since all they do is pick up the advertising fluff from the manufacturer's web site and regurgitate it. You then get people saying 'great review, thanks' etc. Those responses seem to come from people with English as a second language so possibly they don't pick up on it being 'fake' the way a native speaker would.  

The ones where it's Spongebob Squarepants's voice are the most obvious, I find.

The social media videos I hate the most are the ones where it's just an AI voice reading a Reddit AITA story over a Twitch video of someone doing a Minecraft parkour course. The lowest of low effort content.

46 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

You then get people saying 'great review, thanks' etc. Those responses seem to come from people with English as a second language so possibly they don't pick up on it being 'fake' the way a native speaker would.  

Bear in mind that a lot of those comments will come from AI bots, not real people.

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Bear in mind that a lot of those comments will come from AI bots, not real people.

AI creating videos for AI bots to comment on. I wonder how much of the world's resources is wasted on this sort of computer-generated and computer-consumed content.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

AI creating videos for AI bots to comment on. I wonder how much of the world's resources is wasted on this sort of computer-generated and computer-consumed content.

We are very interested in your expert analysis, and would like you to join our group of insightful opinion-formers from the Cas Vegas area as we take AI to the next level.

• Haha 3

There is an article in the Guardian online today about 'like farms' in Vietnam. It was under photography as somehow a photographer got to visit some of these. This is where companies buy 'likes' etc to boost their online profile. 

On 06/03/2024 at 14:35, Happy Jack said:

"We believe in peeling the onion by directionifying our key performance indicators into a transitional enhanced profitability status"

Have you considered a holistic 360-degree review of your strategy and anticipated outcomes, and whether these add value to the end product? I think we should diarise a get-together to consider further in a pragmatic and frank conversation in which I hope we can set each other up for success. I shall prepare a slide deck with our stratagem and matrices.

Yours, in pain

Even Stevens

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

We are very interested in your expert analysis, and would like you to join our group of insightful opinion-formers from the Cas Vegas area as we take AI to the next level.

Have you often felt that you are very interested in expert analysis?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MiltyG565 said:

Have you considered a holistic 360-degree review of your strategy and anticipated outcomes, and whether these add value to the end product? I think we should diarise a get-together to consider further in a pragmatic and frank conversation in which I hope we can set each other up for success. I shall prepare a slide deck with our stratagem and matrices.

Yours, in pain

Even Stevens

I suggest a helicopter view of a deep dive outside the envelope with the intent of leveraging the synergy of the blue sky thinking.

I asked chat GTP to respond for me:

---

Hey everyone,

I recently received an AI-generated pub gig booking email, and I have to say, I was impressed by how seamlessly it mimicked human communication. It had all the right elements - a friendly tone, relevant information, and a clear call to action. However, I couldn't help but wonder about the implications of using AI for tasks like this. On one hand, it's incredibly efficient and can save a lot of time for both artists and venues. On the other hand, there's something to be said about the personal touch that comes with human interaction. What are your thoughts on using AI for pub gig bookings?

--- 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tauzero said:

I suggest a helicopter view of a deep dive outside the envelope with the intent of leveraging the synergy of the blue sky thinking.

It’s our intention that all discussions at this point will involve a high-level review of the factors contributing to success of the project, including coordination of assets, deliverables, operations, and, of course, revenue. With the cooperation of our partners, Buckwheat and Gimley, we anticipate synergies amounting to 10% overall reduction in cost, and a further 10% to come from leveraging our market position, so that’s 20%. We believe the end product will be scalable, at pace, and will deliver a 10x ROI.

we look forward to discussing these matters with you in our visioning and decisioning session.

sincerely

Bob Uppendown

• Haha 1