Why become a member? ×

Best budget P-bass

KASH

So...I have a Fender Jazz MIM and I'm now GASing for a Precision. I'll go around the shops and try some out but what are your thoughts on the best options?

I've checked the Squire VM and C Vibe ones...it looks like the CV have better specs, but there's a big problem...the colour, I just hate it! Is the VM a bood bass in this price range? Shall I go with a used Fender MIM instead?..any other brands that have affordable and good quality Precisions?

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Just a quick word of warning, I bought a VMP and while it looks and sounds great, it's just starting to fall apart on me after about 2 months. The tone/volume knobs dont fit and therefore try to fall off all the time and the jack socket has just worked itself loose which is giving me intermittent sound. They're easy fixes, but these little niggles can be frustrating. I'd suggest buying 2nd hand from a reliable and honest BCer!

Ben.

[quote name='ben604' post='487635' date='May 14 2009, 10:13 AM']Just a quick word of warning, I bought a VMP and while it looks and sounds great, it's just starting to fall apart on me after about 2 months. The tone/volume knobs dont fit and therefore try to fall off all the time and the jack socket has just worked itself loose which is giving me intermittent sound. They're easy fixes, but these little niggles can be frustrating. I'd suggest buying 2nd hand from a reliable and honest BCer!

Ben.[/quote]

My MIM knobs are rubbish too. The neck volume one is completely loose, easy fix but feels really cheap. A bit of hum when the bridge pickup is full on and the neck off. The hum oes away when both are full on ?!? lol...not to mention the bridge, but again I'll upgrade it on my jazz and hopefully my future precision :)

Vintage V4 P Bass - [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14236-vintage-v4-bass-series-sunburst.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/1423...m_campaign=base[/url]

These are excellent for the money imho.

[quote name='Hamster' post='487671' date='May 14 2009, 11:01 AM']Vintage V4 P Bass - [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14236-vintage-v4-bass-series-sunburst.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/1423...m_campaign=base[/url]

These are excellent for the money imho.[/quote]

never tried vintage basses before, how does this model compares o the Vintage ICON V4, and for that matter, all the other options?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='487631' date='May 14 2009, 10:09 AM']There have got to be literally hundreds of good precision copies. The SX range were dead popular cheapies, but now the exchange rate is sucking, not so cheap, unless you can find one over here.[/quote]

These are the same as SX - Jim Deacon. Make sure you get the 20 fret jobbies and not the cheaper 21 fret ones that come in the packs with the amp.

Jim Deacon / SX FPB62 in vintage white... available for [url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=4714"]£109 delivered[/url] including strap/lead/bag etc, and comparable to genuine Fenders according to Talkbass hype. I was thinking of buying one myself...

I have the white VM P and it's fantastic (pots are crap though but cheap to replace), but if I was shopping for a bass right now I would try out this one for less than half the dosh.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='487749' date='May 14 2009, 12:04 PM']These are the same as SX - Jim Deacon. Make sure you get the 20 fret jobbies and not the cheaper 21 fret ones that come in the packs with the amp.

Jim Deacon / SX FPB62 in vintage white... available for [url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=4714"]£109 delivered[/url] including strap/lead/bag etc, and comparable to genuine Fenders according to Talkbass hype. I was thinking of buying one myself...

I have the white VM P and it's fantastic (pots are crap though but cheap to replace), but if I was shopping for a bass right now I would try out this one for less than half the dosh.[/quote]

That sounds interesting..and looks nice too! Have you got a spec list on that, there's not much info on the website?!

[quote name='KASH' post='487815' date='May 14 2009, 12:54 PM']That sounds interesting..and looks nice too! Have you got a spec list on that, there's not much info on the website?![/quote]

Specs on the SX are

[quote]# Solid Alder body creates an authentic vintage sound
# Dual cutaway body provides access to the upper frets
# Contoured back for hours of comfortable play
# Bolt-on Maple neck with adjustable truss rod
# Ultra fast Rosewood fretboard with 20 jumbo frets
# Split type passive pickup offers a full sound
# The design of the neck and fully adjustable traditional bridge provide superior action making the bass very easy to play
# All chrome hardware and three ply pick guard complete the look
# Actual weight is only 8.5 lbs. Overall length is 45" including the strap button.
# Scale length is 34". Width at the widest point is 13". The neck is 1 11/16" wide at the nut.[/quote]

The Jim Deacon should be the same.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='488121' date='May 14 2009, 05:52 PM']Squier Classic Vibe 50's & 60's Precisions, or course![/quote]

Not keen on the 50's and my problem with the 60's is the colour, otherwise it would be on my shortlist. Any other suggestions?

[quote name='KASH' post='488692' date='May 15 2009, 11:35 AM']Not keen on the 50's and my problem with the 60's is the colour, otherwise it would be on my shortlist. Any other suggestions?[/quote]
pity you have a problem with the 60's colour its a cracking bass :)