Why become a member? ×

Does a Low B really work on sub 34” scales?

Dazed

Does a Low B really work on sub 34” scales?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Does a Low B really work on sub 34” scales?

• Yes
    • No don’t be ridiculous

7 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

This has always boggled my mind: I don't understand the benefit of, for example, that weird extended low B that some Fodera's have.

IMG_20230124_110506__1100_x_703_pixel_16

People will also claim a reversed headstock alters the tone of a guitar or bass - but I just don't understand. Just to make things clear: I don't claim it's a hoax. I just don't understand :lol:

I always just think about how much sideways force there must be on that tiny, unsupported sliver of nut.  😟

• Like 2

9 hours ago, eude said:

To be honest, I don't think this does anything bar making it easier to use a LONG scale string on their 33" scale basses.

Oh, that would actually make perfect sense! Hadn't thought of that. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

This has always boggled my mind: I don't understand the benefit of, for example, that weird extended low B that some Fodera's have.

That looks so wrong 😳 I honestly can't work out how the B, E and A strings are supposed to work with that headstock. 

Those breakout angles ain't right 🤣

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

People will also claim a reversed headstock alters the tone of a guitar or bass - but I just don't understand. Just to make things clear: I don't claim it's a hoax. I just don't understand :lol:

I would love Fodora to explain their rationale behind that design. Utter horror show, especially when you compare the break angle of the top and bottom 3.

• Like 2

Surely they have their reasons.  Maybe they just chose an unfortunate headstock shape and are now too embarassed to change it.  Looks like the B will just pop off the nut mid gig ... and every time you tune it you'll be wearing the brass nut away on one side.

Here's how to do it properly - straight pull on every string (or would be if Pete had been more careful with cutting the slots in the nut)

Mk2HEadstock.thumb.jpg.9d52578b2b00d6d460852067c485127c.jpg

• Like 2

On 21/02/2024 at 15:59, LeftyJ said:

That headstock is missing a "PCsGC".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2024 at 10:56, ead said:

This a lot to do with physics surely.  Depending upon the speaking length of the string you need to consider gauge and construction.  I'm sure tone woods and hardware play a part, but there are plenty of formulae knocking about the with give you guidance on tension for a given gauge of string on a given scale length.   String construction will then affect stiffness etc.

Then you have the pickups and the rest of the signal chain to consider.  I like a high pass filter to get rid of a lot of the really low rumbly stuff and than really helps to clear up what goes to the amp/cab.

It's all physics. Everything is 🙂

On 08/03/2024 at 11:19, Rodders said:

I've always found the B string to be quieter than all the other strings on the bass (only ever owned 34" scale), is there an accepted way to fix that? 

Some things may (or not) help:

- string choice (do several trials*)

- pickup height adjustments

- bridge adjustments (in connection with the previous point)

* Try very different gauges. Thin is not always worse!

• Thanks 1