Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001: advice please

Fionn

I’m after some advice regarding a bass I recently inherited … a vintage 4001 (made in 1976). My post is a bit long-winded, so please bear with me.

It’s funny that I ended up with this bass, as I’ve always had a particular dislike for Rickenbackers. They’re literally the furthest thing from my traditional basses of choice (Warwick) … yet here we are, haha.

I’ll never part with this as it’s a family heirloom. My uncle bought it new in 1977 when he moved to San Francisco to pursue a career in music, and played it the whole time since.

However, the bass is not destined to gather dust either. It will most definitely continue to be used in battle, so there are some (reversible) changes I’d like to undertake in making it mine.

I know that for many the only way forward would be to source original vintage replacement parts, though that’s not my aim here.

My questions are as follows …

The Bridge:

Currently there’s a non-original bridge which doesn’t give me the range of intonation for the strings I want to use (the ‘E’ saddle is all the way back already). I’m considering the Ric-specific Hipshot model as it’s well engineered with enhanced adjustment, but also the Allparts replica as it’s in line with the original aesthetic and has the mutes. I was wondering though …

* Is the Allparts replica prone to the same tail-lift as the original?
* Is there a better option, or any other considerations that I’m not aware of?

The Scratchplate:

It appears to be non-original as a new set of holes have been drilled in the bass to accommodate it, and it doesn’t line up correctly (look how close it is to the edge beside the jack-socket!).

• Where can I find a replacement with the correct dimensions and hole placement for a 4001 of this vintage?

The Tuning Keys:

Three are original, one is a Hipshot detuner. I’d like to replace them all. 

* Is there such a thing as a set of drop-in replacements (with correct hole spacing), that are NOT reverse geared, have a better gear ratio than the originals, yet have a similar aesthetic (black ferrules/ short stems) ?

* If not, what are my options?

Other than that, I removed the pick-up cover as it was in the way, but I’ll put a bezel in there so my thumb doesn’t get eaten by the dusty void.

This is a wildly outlandish instrument to me but, despite its many quirks, there’s definitely ‘something’ about it that’s growing on me. It oozes mojo, sure … I’d never have imagined saying so, but I’m beginning to love it already.

The photos are of the bass exactly as my uncle left it. He was a true Prog-Rocker, and a great player. It’s my desire that the bass should continue to be used and cherished … albeit with a few tweaks.

Also, if anyone has any idea of the value (for insurance purposes), I’d be keen to hear it.

Anyway, advice from those learned in things-Rickenbacker would be most gratefully received.

Thanks 🙏🏻 

IMG_6769.thumb.jpeg.2d6319a7ded6ef81f012a9c9ad945404.jpeg

IMG_6768.thumb.jpeg.f0ce00b8f8dc8699212d1d0a1b6f594e.jpeg

IMG_6775.thumb.jpeg.8f698c69c6c03edd0ebcb6adbf066eac.jpeg

Edited by Fionn
  • Like 4

Grover wavy tuners (actually there are two models: bent and molded) would fit, but they are really rare.

That pick-up cover is terrible. Someone sure has measurements of the original, and some company can laser-cut a new one to you.

Bridge looks a bit modern, but if it is functional (fine tuning isn't?), could it be modified slightly? After all, all adjustments you need to do with new strings anyway.

Mojo? That's another word for dirt. Just clean the bass. But heritage, your bass already has an interesting, even enviable history. Keep it rockin'.

• Thanks 1

Bridge.

I've tried the Hipshot; didn't like it. I have the Allparts on a Greco copy and it's never moved in years.

Scratchplate.

Try Rickysounds in UK.

Tuners.

I would not swap out the wavy Grovers, if that's what you have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NikNik said:

I would not swap out the wavy Grovers, if that's what you have.

Is that what I have? They’re the originals.

There are only three, and neither the gear ratio nor the reverse gearing are to my liking … hence my inclination to change them l.

IMG_7789.thumb.jpeg.e368bdce4b3cd70fd4d6925bcdc563a6.jpeg

IMG_7788.thumb.jpeg.bf2bf22a4c0cfeca96c1ea973f755c46.jpeg

Edited by Fionn

Re the Bridge, the Ric tailpiece won't necessarily develop serious tail lift. Even if it does start to lift a little, it probably won't affect the playability. There are plenty of 4001s out there with the original tailpiece.

Having said that; the Hipshot is a much easier bridge to work with. Intonation and string heights are easier to adjust and it's a drop in replacement for the original.

Avoid the ones made of brass as they are ridiculously heavy

Hipshot make or made replacement tuners (HB5) in chrome or black. Be aware that there are two different size ferrules. You will need to check the size of the holes in the headstock and specify which size you need.

Pickguards / scratch plates can be a problem as the exact shape and size varies quite a bit, as does the position of the holes on the 4001.

Robbie at Rickysounds is very helpful and knowledgeable so, it's worth a call.

I think your options are either a custom pickguard with the holes in the right place or an off the shelf pickguard that might require holes to be drilled in the right place

Rickysounds offers pickguards for various production years so you might get lucky with one of them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TBH, I'd second @NikNik.

Bridge: Have a Hipshot on No.2 (4003 though), does a grand job, but IMO, doesn't look the best. Function over form. Not tried the AllParts replica bridge, but it certainly looks the part. The other option is the Babicz "drop in" bridge/saddles, which uses the original Ric bridge/tail.

Scratchplate: www.rickysounds.co.uk. Not the cheapest, but certainly have a great selection of age specific 'plates.

Tuners: Pass. Rickysounds again may be a good place to start looking? 

All the best getting it up & running again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading this thread makes me realise what a great forum this, with everyone trying to offer help and advice. There's another bass forum I can think of, where they'd be at each other's throats by now. Friday glow of contentment settles over Chez Snorkie.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Skybone said:

Bridge: The other option is the Babicz "drop in" bridge/saddles, which uses the original Ric bridge/tail.

For reference, here is the Babicz saddle unit dropped in on the stock bridge on my Rickenbacker, the nice thing is that you get to keep the use of the original mutes. You might notice the 2 extra screws holding the tailpiece down, which was typical for mid-80s Ricks like mine to avoid tail lift. Good luck with the work, you have a nice bass.

363857242_799794971611494_6558783625558595854_n.jpg

364086040_1242023516510426_1651472605297611761_n.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

Reading this thread makes me realise what a great forum this, with everyone trying to offer help and advice.

I concur!

Thank you so much for your suggestions everyone.

I could talk all day about Warwicks or Matsumoku Arias … But I’m but a babe in the woods when it comes to Rickenbackers, so this is all very appreciated 🙏🏻

Edited by Fionn

Bridge:

Yes, the Allparts replacement will probably lift. If its the same material and construction as a Ric original though, this is a process that takes decades and isn't necessarily a problem. My 1980 4001 (44 years with roundwounds) has the original bridge and it has only lifted a few millimetres and it doesn't affect its function.

As for better options the V2 bridge has individually adjustable saddles but keeps the vibe of the original. Pricey though.

I don't like how the Hipshot bridge looks.

Scratchplate:

As mentioned, try Rickysounds

Tuners:

I believe the Hipshot HB5 is a drop in replacement. Not sure which way it winds though.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Just had a quick look at the Hipshot site, and it doesn't look like they make the HB5 anymore. I knew they'd discontinued the BT5 Xtender some time ago.

That does, indeed seem to be true, and they were a drop in replacement (see below). However, there should be sets still out there if you are prepared to search long and hard enough.

Hipshot.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 17:56, Norris said:

Rickysounds is also the place for your pickup bezel, but you probably already knew that 😀

I would suggest buying pickup bezels from the designer Tubeampology - the Rick version is, ironically, a rip-off of the design and very much a cheap knock-off. I've owned both, the original is of a higher quality.

I'm assuming the ones on Rickysounds are the Rickenbacker version but I could be wrong.

https://www.thetreblebezel.com/