Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller Basses?

Cheeto726

I briefly had a 2nd gen V7 from a well known retailer and sent it back same day, tell tale signs that someone else had rejected it, fret buzzes and rattles, maxed out truss rod so wouldn't take a set up, and wonky controls. I don't believe that is typical of the series, and quite surprising that had got out the door for this company. Sadly put me off what is probably a very good bass, but the Yamaha replacement BB434 was light years ahead. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't part with this  for the world .

Plays lovely ,Nice tone,Great Fingerboard rounded so makes it easier to rake the strings form the G string  upwards.

And all this for £399 Squid.

And the Build quality is better than my Mex Fender which is £300 more .

You just can't go wrong with these for the price.

20230805_104557 (1).jpg

• Like 4

On 13/02/2024 at 22:06, John777 said:

I briefly had a 2nd gen V7 from a well known retailer and sent it back same day, tell tale signs that someone else had rejected it, fret buzzes and rattles, maxed out truss rod so wouldn't take a set up, and wonky controls. I don't believe that is typical of the series, and quite surprising that had got out the door for this company.

Same, including a faulty preamp and proud inlay. 

• Like 2

On 13/02/2024 at 07:27, Cheeto726 said:

What are everyone's opinions on these? I have a Marcus Miller V7 that I LOVE. I've had the bass for about a year already and right now I have some Ernie Ball flat wounds and I'm about to switch them out for some new ones but I was wondering if anyone has done any mods to their's and how you liked or disliked it, what you did, etc. 

I've had my V7 for a couple of years now and think it's awesome. It came with EB rounds on it, but I've never gotten on with those tone-wise so switched to D'Addario XL/XT (depending on how flush I am when I can buy new strings) and have never looked back.

I have a 1stGen V7, one of the very first ones with a signed neck plate.

It's pretty much stock. I did replace the signed neck plate with a standard looking chrome one (the signed one is in my bass bits box in a cupboard). I also put one of those rubber neck plate gaskets on. Other than that, some Schaller strap locks and D'Addarrio Chrome strings. 

The neck is great, it's really easy to play. Even though I've not been in a band  for ages, so I don't play much, I'd have to be flat broke to sell it.

2nd Gen 'improvements' aside, when I look at the current price of Sires, mine was a steel 😁

• Like 1

A Gen 2 P5 is my primary live tool. The boys in the band love the sound and have begged me not to change the pups, and the fit and finish is an easy match for the player Precision ot replaced, and which cost twice as much.  Feels great in the hand, looks great in sesfoam (gets a lot of admiring comments from audience members), good tonal range, can't fault it.

I actually like the tuners.  As I always do, I torqued them properly and lubed then sparingly  with graphite paste and find them very positive and stable. 

No mods as yet other than Marvel type locking strap buttons and strat type knobs (I like to have numbers visible.) I have a passive EMG pickup that I would like to try but our guitarists love the sound as it is and have threatened me with all sorts of unpleasantness if I ever do a thing to change it. To be fair they have a point - it does sound great, has a real solid mid range kick that cuts through beautifully in live venues.

I'd certainly look closely at other Sire next time I'm bass shopping.

Edited by Bassfinger

5 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

A Gen 2 P5 is my primary live tool. 

I actually like the tuners.  As I always do, I torqued them properly and lubed then sparingly  with graphite paste and find them very positive and stable. 

I understand that better tuners were one of the improvements introduced for the Gen 2 basses. I did everything I could with my Gen 1's tuners, stripped 'em down and lubed 'em up (stop sniggering at the back) and experimented with washers and shims and everything, still couldn't get them feeling 'right', hence the Hipshot upgrade. Which of course brought the added advantage of the weight saving.

• Like 1