Why become a member? ×

No Giggity

Bluewine

A little off topic;

I'm hoping some of you guys get these type of messages from your Band leaders. I just got this 5 minutes ago .

" Hey everyone, Wed. 7/3 was booked with someone else, so no Maple Road gig, but Barry is working on something else for a different date.
Also, Sat. 7/27@ Majestic Beer Garden needs to be rescheduled due to a conflict at the park, so do either Fri 6/21 or Fri 8/30 work for everyone to re-book?"

I used to get upset over this kind of stuff. Now, I finally get it. Stuff is going to happen. Don't  " freak out" over it.

Daryl

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

A little off topic;

I'm hoping some of you guys get these type of messages from your Band leaders. I just got this 5 minutes ago .

" Hey everyone, Wed. 7/3 was booked with someone else, so no Maple Road gig, but Barry is working on something else for a different date.
Also, Sat. 7/27@ Majestic Beer Garden needs to be rescheduled due to a conflict at the park, so do either Fri 6/21 or Fri 8/30 work for everyone to re-book?"

I used to get upset over this kind of stuff. Now, I finally get it. Stuff is going to happen. Don't  " freak out" over it.

Daryl

Eh, what can one do?  Jump up and down a bit?  Have a moan about how unfair it all is?  It's as futile as peeing in the sea.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Eh, what can one do?  Jump up and down a bit?  Have a moan about how unfair it all is?  It's as futile as peeing in the sea.

It took me a long time to take minor upsets like this like a small grain of salt.

It goes with the territory. 

Daryl

• Like 2

1. Why you don't have any gigs? - No gigs since chrimbo but we start again 16th March and have 20 booked for the year including a support slot at a festival for Luke Combs UK (the tribute act). Enjoying the time off rehearsing new stuff and recording

2.Do you rely on an agent ? - nope, never had any success with them

3.Who finds coordinates and confirms gigs? me and the guitarist

4.  Are you or any band members in this for the money? yes, but as pocket money

5.How much do you want to gig? 2-3 times a month. I used to travel far and wide to gigs for ships and giggles but like to keep it to an hour's drive max if poss 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

5.How much do you want to gig? 2-3 times a month. I used to travel far and wide to gigs for ships and giggles but like to keep it to an hour's drive max if poss 

I should consider myself lucky. We never seem to travel more than 40 minutes one way. 

Now , we do have a rare hour commute Saturday,  however I'll be sitting in the van sleeping.  Does that count ? Lol

Daryl

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

I should consider myself lucky. We never seem to travel more than 40 minutes one way. 

Now , we do have a rare hour commute Saturday,  however I'll be sitting in the van sleeping.  Does that count ? Lol

Daryl

Definitely counts Daryl 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Why you don't have any gigs? Yes, we have gigs but not as many as we would like and less than previous years. It is getting harder to book tribute gigs without agency representation, despite having quite a lot of recognition and a couple of reasonably well known members. 

2. Do you rely on an agent? No, but we do use them occasionally. If it was up to me, we would be using them a lot more.

3. Who finds coordinates and confirms gigs? Generally, the band leader (guitarist) for the Zep tribute, although I’ve got a few. For the new blues band I’m doing, it will most likely be mainly me and the guitarist.

4. Are you or any band members in this for the money? For a couple of members (in both bands), making money from gigs (from several bands) is a significant part of their income. This something that the reasonably highly paid drummer sometimes fails to realise! For me, it pays for holidays and new gear, strings, etc. It might be a weekend in Skegness this year!

5. How much do you want to gig? Two to three times a month would be ideal. Playing the tribute circuit necessitates a fair bit of travelling if you want to go out for half-decent money, it just comes with the gig. I have no problem with that at all if we’re making enough money to make it worthwhile.

• Like 2

I just turned 72.

1   I’ve cut back on some gigs because we’re looking after my 98 yr old mother-in-law. I do a house band gig every Sunday and like a night for rehearsal or a gig on top of that. But not much more. I used to generally play three or four nights every week.

2    Haven’t dealt with agents for some years , since I decided to cut back on travel many years back. I’ve been fortunate to play as much as I’d like in town. I’ll do a couple of minor drives in the summer , but that’s it. 
3    Most gigs I do are return gigs. The phone will ring and I’ll be asked about availability. So more often then not I’ll know many of the regulars by their first names. 

4    My gig money generally goes in a sock for musical emergencies. At the moment I’m thinking I should sell some things to make room for something different , but I’m happy with what I have. There are some amps I’d love to try. My gear was bought with gig money. Thankfully my wife always says that if I do see something I like … to get it. 
5    Two to three nights per week out max for now.

Things usually start to pick up as the dead of winter winds down. So I hope you’ll be back in the usual gigs soon. I know things can turn around just like that. Take advantage of the down time as you can.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, peteb said:

4. Are you or any band members in this for the money? For a couple of members (in both bands), making money from gigs (from several bands) is a significant part of their income. This something that the reasonably highly paid drummer sometimes fails to realise! For me, it pays for holidays and new gear, strings, etc. It might be a weekend in Skegness this year!

5. How much do you want to gig? Two to three times a month would be ideal. Playing the tribute circuit necessitates a fair bit of travelling if you want to go out for half-decent money, it just comes with the gig. I have no problem with that at all if we’re making enough money to make it worthwhile.

I spoke with a guy over here that said he played some sort of blues/folk festival in Skegness.

For me, I'm ok with 1 quality gig a week maybe 2 in the summer.

Daryl

• Like 1

6 hours ago, msb said:

Things usually start to pick up as the dead of winter winds down. So I hope you’ll be back in the usual gigs soon. I know things can turn around just like that. Take advantage of the down time as you can.

Agreed

Daryl

• Like 1

I’m sure I’m not the oldest active gigger on here but at 74 I must be bubbling near the top! However, I’m up for as many gigs as my band can get, so:

Q: Why have you no gigs? 

A: we have January and February off to recuperate and avoid travelling in what’s normally rubbish weather. We have 30 gigs in the book for the rest of the year, more coming in all the time

Q: Do you rely on agents?

A: not at all, all word of mouth

Q: Who finds/confirms gigs?

A: Gigs come to us! Our singer is contact, diary managed by drummers wife

Q: Are you or any band members in it for the money?

A: None of us rely on gig money to live. However, we have a minimum band fee and never play for free as a matter of principle. My cut goes towards travel expenses and GAS

Q: How much do you want to gig?

A: Forever! Put my Bongo bass in my coffin, I’ll be sentenced by St Peter to playing Sweet Home Alabama eternally in the worst pub in Hell - my just desserts for not living the life I should have lived...

Edited by Gasman
Context
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I spoke with a guy over here that said he played some sort of blues/folk festival in Skegness.

For me, I'm ok with 1 quality gig a week maybe 2 in the summer.

Daryl

Daryl, the Skegness reference is a bit of a joke as it is a rather grim resort on the North Sea that most people would rather avoid (unless they're really broke)! It's not like going on holiday to Spain for a week in the sun. 

There did used to be a big blues / rock festival at a holiday camp in Skegness until very recently. It was always about this time of year. I played it once - it was a really good event...! 

Oh, and happy 70th birthday Daryl - enjoy your new venerable status and great that you're still out there... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

Q: How much do you want to gig?

A: Forever! Put my Bongo bass in my coffin, I’ll be sentenced by St Peter to playing Sweet Home Alabama eternally in the worst pub in Hell - my just desserts for not living the life I should have lived...

😂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, peteb said:

There did used to be a big blues / rock festival at a holiday camp in Skegness until very recently. It was always about this time of year. I played it once - it was a really good event...! 

They do the same with punk too Pete, we played a couple of times, even the introducing stage was a proper big stage with full decent backline and playing to about 500 people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

Well, the sad day eventually comes and @Gasman ascends the to the pearly gates. St Peter checks his clipboard - "right, Gasman, bass player, would you mind going over there with all the other bass players".

So Gasman is having a fab time shaking hands with Jack Bruce, James Jameson, Ray Brown, when he hears some incredible fretless playing, coming from behind a wall.

"Who's that?" he says.

"Jaco Pastorius" says Jack Bruce

"Why is he behind the wall?"

"He thinks he's the only one here!".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Daryl, the Skegness reference is a bit of a joke as it is a rather grim resort on the North Sea that most people would rather avoid (unless they're really broke)! It's not like going on holiday to Spain for a week in the sun. 

Oh, and happy 70th birthday Daryl - enjoy your new venerable status and great that you're still out there... 

Yeah, Butlins pulled both the Blues/Rock and the Folk festivals, stating they weren't viable anymore.