Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard sized poweramps

NancyJohnson

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/03/2024 at 07:41, NancyJohnson said:

I've been cranking the thing up.  Blimey!  Epic.  I'm really impressed with the output, clarity, transparency etc.  It's completely silent too; no interference from dimmer switches (like the A/O 900).

I suppose the real test would be when I get in a room with people, but if it's no good for that, then I'll just use it at home.

It's stupid cheap; at £68 it's less than a night out at the pub and a kebab.  What's not to like?

@NancyJohnson have you had the chance to play it in a band environment? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

@NancyJohnson have you had the chance to play it in a band environment? 

Nope.  I hadn't touched it it for a few days and when it switched it on today it's conked out.  FFS.  It's been used about an hour.  It powers up, but nothing.

I'll need to chase up Thomann.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope.  I hadn't touched it it for a few days and when it switched it on today it's conked out.  FFS.  It's been used about an hour.  It powers up, but nothing.

I'll need to chase up Thomann.

Oh dear, well I was on the fence about getting one of these - but that's me put off. I think maybe an elf or gnome might be better as a backup. Played an elf last night and was super impressed.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 12:04, alexa3020 said:

Oh dear, well I was on the fence about getting one of these - but that's me put off. I think maybe an elf or gnome might be better as a backup. Played an elf last night and was super impressed.

Well, full credit to Thomann, they're just sending me a replacement, but I need to hang onto the old one for six months in case they want it back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/05/2024 at 14:01, JPJ said:

Just spotted this over on FaceAche https://www.eich-amps.com/tb250#collapseExample0 Looks like it could be a contender for those who want to run a cab from pedalboard preamp like the OP? And as it’s coming from a recognised bass amp manufacturer I’d expect its roadworthy too. 

Interesting, as it looks suspiciously similar to something like 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283964862682?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=SsSiHyWXTLi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=O0J6pgZgSC6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY which I had considered at in the past as a possible mini power amp - but a lot more expensive. I wonder how long these can sustain their rated output without overheating but as you say, if Eich are prepared to put their name on it one assumes it performs. 

The external power supply brick slightly detracts from the ultra-mini aesthetic though, which will be why they don’t show it in any of the photos 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nekomatic said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283964862682?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=SsSiHyWXTLi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=O0J6pgZgSC6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY which I had considered at in the past as a possible mini power amp - but a lot more expensive. I wonder how long these can sustain their rated output without overheating but as you say, if Eich are prepared to put their name on it one assumes it performs. 

I have a 100-watt Nobsound, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274444339477, which I use to drive an active stool or a platform with drums. I think the Eich could be an uprated version of this although the price hike is a bit alarming. The 19-volt power supply is 60% the size of the amp so it's all a bit messy.  I've modified mine so the speaker outlet is now a jack rather than terminal posts however the input is still a phono.  I have yet to try it with a bass through a decent speaker.

• Like 2

On 19/05/2024 at 11:53, obbm said:

I have a 100-watt Nobsound, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274444339477, which I use to drive an active stool or a platform with drums. I think the Eich could be an uprated version of this although the price hike is a bit alarming. The 19-volt power supply is 60% the size of the amp so it's all a bit messy.  I've modified mine so the speaker outlet is now a jack rather than terminal posts however the input is still a phono.  I have yet to try it with a bass through a decent speaker.

I don't think there is anything too suspicious about these amps, there are a whole rash of class D amplifier chips they are used in that are the basis of a lot of cheap hi-fi/television sound bars and the like. Generally thay are the basis of anything that is rated as 2.1 i.e. a stereo amp with a subwoofer output. Basically each chip has a four channel class D amplifier. Each amplifier can be bridged with another so you can get extra power. Typically one pair are used for the subwoofer and the other two as a stereo amp. Other chips have just two amps as used in this Nobsound.  These amplifier chips are incredibly cheap as they are mass produced and the reliability of the final product depends to a certain extent upon the quality of the few external components they need and the power supply. I'd assume Eich will use better components. The power you will actaully get will depend upon the power supply and 19V is an odd choice for a 24Vchip. It's not unusual for a laptop power supply though so my guess is that is what you are getting. We've all probably got a collection of domestic bluetooth speakers using these amps, it's why this stuff is so cheap.

During Lockdown I bought a whole collection of these on uncased boards to try out for building a combo. I still haven't got round to making anything but I know @Chienmortbb has got them going

This is one of the amps based upon a TDA3116 chip which is hidden under the black heatsink. In this case the board is rated at 100W @4ohms  with a 24V supply.  It's £9.99 from ebay it could be what is in the4 Nobsound but there are other options.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a95829b6d8dd0ed2c645a87b2e3b85f5.jpg

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

On 19/05/2024 at 10:28, nekomatic said:

The external power supply brick slightly detracts from the ultra-mini aesthetic though, which will be why they don’t show it in any of the photos 😁

I think all these "ebay special" mini amps are based on single chip switched mode amps like TPA3255 as @Phil Starr says, they perform very decently according to various reviews I've read with the limiting factor being the power supply rather than the amp itself. Very tempted to give one a go.

Another decent looking one is this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355582766811?itmmeta=01HYFTFC2VWKW18NHKQN7HRDAK

Edited by bassman7755
  • Like 1