Why become a member? ×

Getting better tips please

SamIAm

I'd say I'm a 2 (or maybe 3) out of 10 bass player.

I can groove a root + third bassline (With a octave thrown in for good measure) to most anything I can see the chordsheet to.

But I'd like to step up my game and knock socks off lol

I would love your advice!

Sam x

40 minutes ago, nekomatic said:

What style(s) of music? Have you got an example chord sheet you can post?

A wide range of cover stuff for jam evenings (I've recently been invited along to a weekly ukulele jam evening as the 'resident' bass player).  On the night folks just pick from a selection of the many dozens of songs in the various books they've produced.

I've just like to throw in some more variety than root/third and looking for some tips to add a bit more colour.

For example ...

CleanShot2024-01-24at00_00.47@2x.thumb.png.e0f8c1a1cae29b06bcbf1505c0b11dd8.png

CleanShot2024-01-24at00_01.49@2x.thumb.png.8f32d2c6adf91be4d892c358f846e9ce.png

CleanShot2024-01-24at00_08.00@2x.thumb.png.c556095292e6439d4825df2cc7e11768.png

Sam x

As a person who believes scales are a piece of kitchen equipment, all I have ever done is copy and paste bass lines for songs I am learning.  Whenever I have learnt a new song, I try to learn the bass line as it was recorded - if I can - the main bits and all the fills.  Eventually all those fills and runs have kind of stuck so, if the occasion demands it, I can paste together what I know in new and appropriate ways.  But, really, knowing how the original goes and copying it can't be criticised.

• Like 1

Root notes are going to be your bread’n’spread for jam nights (hey, get me with the mixed metaphor), but you can probably help flag the changes to keep folk together. So little chromatic runs up/down and ending phrases on the fourth or fifth of the next root (whichever sounds righter).

To go beyond, and apologies if this is stuff you’ve been doing since childhood: learn to harmonise the major scale, and maybe the modes too. Both much easier than they sound and can help you find new places to go.

• Like 1

As @nige1968 says, with that sort of material in that sort of context you can probably go a long way on roots and thirds (and fifths, surely) most of the time, so learning to add in a few passing notes and fills - keeping aware of what the chord notes are - sounds like a good next step. 

I'm a big fan of looking at the bass part for a tune I like - either finding a transcription or even better transcribing it from the recording myself, which is a great exercise - and identifying patterns or devices that give the tune its feel, then making those into exercises to practice. Try that with the original bass parts of Lola and I Saw Her Standing There for example, there's a few in there. What chord notes are they using, how do they join one chord to the next, and so on?

2002 I can't help you with, I'm not sure you even need the thirds for that one 😁

• Like 1

Well, you might find it easier to hum an interesting bassline, then copy that on bass, than coming up with it on the bass directly. 

In any case I think starting to think more melodically, and coherently as one single song, rather than individual blocks of chords stacked together, would be the key here.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

One thing I would add that I don't think has been mentioned yet, is perhaps look more closely at rhythm and how you can vary note length and add articulation to add interest to the bassline rather than adding more or different notes.

This isn't necessarily appropriate for cover songs but I sometimes think a long the lines of, I'll only use 2 strings, stay in one area of the neck or create the feel of a walking bassline. It's sort of a challenge but can sometimes help with diffent ideas for fills or overall sound.

May or may not work for you, just offering a different spin on it.

• Like 1

OMG!

This is probably not a revelation to anyone but it was for me.

A Fifth can be played one string higher and two frets up .... but a -fifth can be played one string lower on the same fret (With a 5er this is very flexible) ... PERFECT for 'A Man of Constant Sorrow' which we are playing at our jam; and it sounds really really nice!

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 3

Simplicity is best I think. Rather than adding more notes, add a ghost note or replace a note with a ghost note of 2 as well as experimenting with different rhythms and note lengths with a drum pattern. A good exercise is to put on a  metronome or simple drum pattern and try to be creative with just one note.

• Like 2

@SamIAm the best reference I found for this was in “Bass guitar for dummies” by Patrick pfeiffer in which he goes through the scale for various chords and identifies which notes are good in strong beats and which make great passing notes on weaker ones 

it was the first explanation I ever read which made me think “ah!”. If you’re not 100% a music natural like I am not, a simple explanation is worth gold, frankincense and myrrh. Though maybe not so much myrrh next time … as Brian’s mum said 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

@SamIAm

Good replies above about what notes to play (fills/runs etc).  Also important is having solid timing and note placement.  One thing that helps is to record yourself (either live with your group or at home with a backing track) and then listen back with a critical ear.  For example with myself, I notice I'm not always as firmly right on the beat as I think I am, and I need to consider my note durations (note was brought off when I should have held it for a bit longer, or vice versa).

• Like 3