Why become a member? ×

Line selector/eq pedal advice

TommyK

Hi All

I’m a total Noob to the double bass world. Picked one up through BC before Christmas and am loving the challenge. 
My main band is an Elvis tribute so when I’m fully up to speed there is still going to be some switching between double bass and electric. 

I did play both for a first outing at a party last weekend (wife’s birthday, friendly crowd). It became fairly obvious that just plugging one in instead of the other isn’t really gonna work. 

So I’m guessing a line selector/ab thing with an eq pedal also might be the plan. What do you guys do? Is there a “one pedal to rule them all” single pedal solution?

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

Maybe a bit of a left field suggestion, but here goes...

I avoid doubling like the plague, I'm either playing DB or EB... But... On occasions where my arm is twisted into it I take the Zoom B6. Two inputs, both of which are switchable between 1k and 10k input impedance, and a simple foot switch to toggle between the two. It sounds great with both instruments, I think so anyway.

• Like 1

Do they both sound OK straight into the amp?

If so, any A/B pedal will do the trick.
Boss LS-2 is a fantastic option - it has volumes on both channels and is useful for loads of other applications.
Bright Onion do some pretty nice stuff too - from a simple A/B to ones wih FX loops and tuner outs and allsorts.
https://brightonion.co.uk/

If not, I'd suggest a preamp for your upright. I use a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ II (discontinued) but I'm sure there are othes!
I also use a Sansamp VTDI for electric (nice 50s/60s thump) and keep the amp as flat/clean as possible.

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Have a look at EBS Stanley Clarke pedal or MicroBass 3.  They are not cheap - but once you add up the cost of a variable HPF, two EQ pedals, a Boss LS-2, a DI box, etc, it is not unreasonable.

This. 

I read a few posts about your experiences with this pedal and subsequently bought one and it’s been fantastic.

Its a line selected, DI, HPF and superb EQ.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1

I started off with a Radial I/O, which allows for different input levels, but quickly realised you need separate EQ settings as well. 

I was after an EBS Microbass 3 but ended up with a Radial Tonebone OD - it has a switchable HPF for each channel and a piezo boost on one input if required. Separate EQ for both channels, and an 'always on' tuner output - useful if like me your intonation can be a little iffy. 

• Like 1