Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Rex Brown Thunderbird Bass

I'm a big Rex fan, a huge Pantera fan and I loved my old Thunderbird but £1400? Not a chance. I paid a third that price for a new Vintage Pro only three years ago and that thing was brilliant. I really wish I still had it.

• Like 3

My Rexalike Tokai TB (the one in my avatar) cost me a hundred quid plus maybe another hundred for the gold Gotoh tuners and bridge, and the Home Of Tone wiring loom. I'll bet it's every bit as good as this Epi offering, and probably better. I'll reserve judgement until I've tried one of course. The Gibson is way out of my reach, but does this bridge the gap? I dunno.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm a big Rex fan, a huge Pantera fan and I loved my old Thunderbird but £1400? Not a chance. I paid a third that price for a new Vintage Pro only three years ago and that thing was brilliant. I really wish I still had it.

i loved my vintage pro as well. i stuck a flush bridge on it , the thing was a monster

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

i loved my vintage pro as well. i stuck a flush bridge on it , the thing was a monster

I've seen some fairly big metal bands using a vintage pro live. Cult Of Luna was one that was particularly memorable, his bass tone was huge. I sold mine to the current Hawkwind bassist

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've seen some fairly big metal bands using a vintage pro live. Cult Of Luna was one that was particularly memorable, his bass tone was huge. I sold mine to the current Hawkwind bassist

That's because it's a more accurate representation in looks, build and sound to the original 60s Thunderbird then anything produced since the 80s with a Gibson Logo on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

To be honest, I associate Rex more with Spector than a Thunderbird 

Seems to be Gibson's MO over the last couple of years, endorsig big name artists at the end of their careers despite them having used other brands throughout their heyday. The Dave Mustaine sigs had some terrible reviews when they came out as both the Gibson and the £1k+ Epi were full of flaws, obviously the artists' instruments don't come off the same production line ours would but they just looked sub standard at any price point.