Why become a member? ×

Cab thoughts...

uk_lefty

I am doing less and less gigs that require my full rig (ABM600 into two ABM Neo 15s). Most venues we play have their own PAs, guitarist and drummer have in-ears and singer is going that way too so on stage volume needs to be kept low. We now have active subs for when we use our own PA. Since early in the summer I've often played gigs direct off my board through my EBS Microbass. 

So, two 15s take up a lot of space. I'm thinking of trying to move them on and replace with an ABM 4x10. That should surely give me everything I need.... What are the pros and cons of this change, if I go ahead with it?

The ABM410 is a great cab (the EVO IV version is one of my all time faves)but it’s rather big, I find my two ABM PRO NEO 210s stacked take up less space in my spare room. I also find that they take up less space in the car as they can be put next to each other. The 410 is also quite heavy though putting a decent set of castors on solves a lot aside from stairs. Soundwise it’s a great cab that really comes into its own on big stages.

• Like 1

I'm completely with Bill on this one. Modern PA's have improved so much that this is what the audience should be hearing. Needing a 2x15 or a 4x10 to reach the back of the room is just not necessary and it has so many disadvantages apart form the fag of harrying to transport, store and carry a huge box or boxes. I have multiple cabs because it is my passion but the biggest cab I've taken to a gig in the last two years is a 1x12. Often I go ampless or the amp and bass speaker stay in the car. I think any serious gigging bassist needs their own bass amplification still as you never know what you'll find when you get there but a 300W amp and a good quality 12 (or 2x10) should be able to match the drumkit and why would you want to drown out the rest of the band? The guitarist can just turn down :)

• Like 4

The ABM 410 is a lovely cab but it's so heavy! I wouldn't have one again for that reason alone.

I'd also echo the other comments on letting the PA do the work. I'm using a pair of 1x10 cabs and they are plenty loud enough. We only used a PA for outdoor gigs (jazz big band) and then I'd often only take one of them for me to hear myself.

On one occasion my speakon cable failed and I didn't have a spare so I just went DI from my Tech21 Paradriver. Fortunately the monitors were good.