Why become a member? ×

Original Inspiration

Got to see my original inspiration Friday night...

https://i.imgur.com/dVyuY7s.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wQvQIdh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kNqpnCh.jpg

...And he threw his wristband to my dad and I, which was a wonderful moment.

When I was a kid, I had the 'Piece of Mind' album and Thin Lizzy's 'Black Rose' cassette tapes, which made me want to play bass.

WASP's 'Crimson Idol' and Big Country's 'The Buffalo Skinners' made me pick up the guitar too.

I don't listen to Steve (or Phil) much any more, because Jack Bruce and Chris Squire just took it that little bit further, but it was incredible and exhausting to watch him in action.

British Lion as a band are incredibly polished live, but the dynamics came through in a way that the albums just can't capture (modern technology). I'd thoroughly recommend the gig if you get the chance to see them.

So who made you pick up the bass?

20240112_215457.jpg

20240112_210535.jpg

SH1.jpg

Edited by Schnozzalee
  • Like 7

Looks mint! Steve Harris was also my inspiration for learning to play bass over 35 years ago now. 

In fact I was having a bit of a rough time of things last week and ended up watching a few songs from Live After Death on Youtube which soothed my soul and took me back to being a wide-eyed teenage metal fan.

I met him once at the British Music Show in Earls Court in 1997 -  I queued up at the Rotosound stand for ages to get an autograph, but was then too starstruck to say anything to him!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Looks mint! Steve Harris was also my inspiration for learning to play bass over 35 years ago now. 

In fact I was having a bit of a rough time of things last week and ended up watching a few songs from Live After Death on Youtube which soothed my soul and took me back to being a wide-eyed teenage metal fan.

I met him once at the British Music Show in Earls Court in 1997 -  I queued up at the Rotosound stand for ages to get an autograph, but was then too starstruck to say anything to him!

I had a very similar experience at a fan club event in 1989. 

• Like 2

Eh, Mrs. Neepheid asked me after the gig if I wanted to hang around (for my benefit, not hers) but I was like nah, what's the point? Let's say I did actually get a chance to speak to Arry, what could I say that he hasn't heard a million times already?  Plus I put myself in his shoes and to be honest even in my current state of complete unfamousness I would still prefer that everyone just eff off after a gig and not bug me when I'm dismantling gear, or just generally decompressing and letting the adrenaline die down naturally - imagine it's a hundred times worse when you are famous and you have to play nice otherwise someone will get all offended on the internet about it.

I'm happy that I got to see him up close (way closer than at a Maiden concert) and watch him tan the hell out of those strings.

• Like 2

IMG_6339.thumb.jpeg.0178923c5b073bf379c66a618de612c2.jpeg

Thanks to a connection with a very old friend of his I met him briefly on Saturday. What a nice, down to earth bloke. A real gent.

Me in my wishful thinking pose!

• Like 3

I did get to tell Dave Cousins that he was a big influence on my songwriting about 30 years ago. I'm not sure how much of a compliment he took it as, as he (and the other Strawbs) had just heard the duo I was in doing our support slot for them.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Schnozzalee said:

Did anyone manage to get an encore out of British Lion? I would have loved for him to play the ides of March or something from UFO.

Didn't hang around afterwards, but certainly would have done to get a photo with him.

No encore in Aberdeen...

• Thanks 1