Why become a member? ×

Mic stand monitor

Beedster

I'm looking for a powered mic stand monitor that I can feed with the pre-ampat my feet as opposed to from the PA. PJB Ear Box looked perfect but appears to be passive when I really need active (we run a very small desk with limited I/O options).

+1 for the Behringer B205D. Played a support gig a little while ago and the headline acts bassist was using one with his db and he kindly offered to let me try it. It was one of those tight little stages where you are almost stood/sat on your amp, so having this thing at ear height was a godsend. He obviously knew it well and had the eq spot on and it produced a surprising amount of bass from its 5” speaker. Plus points I could clearly hear every note I played, downsides I could clearly hear every note I played. Note to self, stop prattling around on the internet and practice more instead 😂

Edited by JPJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

The Behringer is a good little unit. Thomann also do one under "The Box" brand, which is pretty much the same and slightly cheaper (there's some irony in products being "influenced" by Behringer that are cheaper)

I'm trying to remember which one I have, but it escapes me at the moment.

• Like 1

I went down that route for a while, I started with the B205D and then upgraded to the TC VoiceSolo. I also tried the Mackie that the Behringer copied. On its own the Behringer sounds like a loud transistor radio, the Mackie sonded identical. The TC had a much better sound but the Behringer at a gig actually worked much better, it's the mids you need so that boxy/tinny sound worked way better than you expect. The Behringer is so top heavy on a stand and I ended up with it on a separate stand. The TC was better but still clumsy.

Aterr this I bought my own floor monitor which was better but you need to figure out how you will mix, that three channel mixer and feed through on the B205 and others is really useful.

In the end I went in-ears and couldn't believe how much effort money and time I'd wasted on what is a way inferior sound.

• Like 3

On 14/01/2024 at 08:02, Phil Starr said:

In the end I went in-ears and couldn't believe how much effort money and time I'd wasted on what is a way inferior sound.

Pretty much my route to IEM’s as well. I’ve got an unused Yamaha DBR12, love it but it’s mono and i was getting a few issues, i got a B205D that i didn’t like so exchanged it for a B207D ( much better sounding than the 205) but still didn’t get what i was happy with so don’t use that, brought a couple of small mixers on the way, and was happy with the Mackie i got, but it’s now gathering dust with the other bits as I’m now fully IEM’d up with our XR18. Should have just got that in the first place. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, police squad said:

I have a B205D you can try Chris. I'm not using it since I went IEM. I'm in River.

Hi Mart, that is jolly kind of you mate, many many thanks, i'll drop you a PM 👍

• Like 1