Why become a member? ×

Kid wants to start drumming - help!

Calling all drummists!

Last week I took my poorly Elf into PMT for it to be sent off for a repair under the warranty. While we were in there my 6yo son plonked himself down behind one of the very expensive Roland electric dum kits and decided to have a bash at them. Not literally, fortunately, but he seemed very keen to try playing them again, to the extent that he practically begged us to take him back the following day so he could try again, which we did. After directing him towards one of the less expensive setups he was more or less happy to amuse himself, and while Mrs asingardenof kept watch I gravitated to the bass section (as you do). Some time later he was still going, and we decided we should look more into what would be involved in getting him started.

We've found a local drum school and he's had a taster session this week. He was pretty shy but did very well at the basic stuff he was being shown, and afterwards was very vocal about how much he'd enjoyed it, how he wants a kit of his own and more lessons, and how I should quit my current band and form one with him - my protests that I could be in more than one band are currently falling on deaf ears 🤣

Alas the teacher we went to has a full roster of 1-2-1 lessons and a waiting list, but he agrees with me that that is the best approach rather than group lessons. He has offered ad hoc lessons and advice as and when my son is particularly enthused, which the boy is happy with as he quite likes figuring things out for himself.

So in the immediate term I've ordered him a practice pad and a set of sticks so he can practice hitting stuff, and am looking into what sort of kit to get him. He wasn't overly keen on the acoustic set he started on at his taster lesson, much preferring e-kits, which suits his mum and I (and our neighbours) just fine. But do we start him on a junior kit such as this one from G4M, or do we look into getting him onto a full-size kit ASAP? I don't mind going for a junior kit first if that's the best option, but a full-sized kit would mean if he lost interest then it would probably pass to me as I wouldn't mind having a go. The bright colours of the G4M kit have - as designed - turned his head, but should I try and dissuade him?

And before anyone asks he has zero interest in picking up a bass!

Edited by asingardenof

I got mine an alesis nitro mesh drum kit (has a proper bass drum pedal). Can be found for less than £200 second hand. The mesh heads are more like an acoustic kit (apparently) so any switching between should be ok.

People say the sounds aren't great but I bumped the mids and added a bit of reverb and it actually sounds really good.

Of course children don't always listen to reason so if he likes the g4m kit get him that, can always be sold and replaced if necessary.

• Like 1

I would steer away from the G4M kit. I know nothing about them, but the colours won’t do him any favours if he continues his interest in drumming.

The Millenium kits however are very good. A drummer in a band I dep for has recently bought one and gigs with it.

He knows his gear and he wouldn’t have kept it if it didn’t pass muster. Also sounds good to my ears.

• Like 1

My son was always interested in playing drums, so much so, we got him one of those "toy" drum kits one year. Not only did he "play" the heck out of it, he kept dismantling it (and losing bits as he went on!). Then he kind of lost interest.

He got to about 10/11, and started taking a bit more interest in playing again. started playing bass, but was still hankering after a drum kit.

When he was about 13, I managed to find an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit second hand, and not too far away. As it was near Christmas, I discussed it with him, and he decided to pool his Christmas money and get the kit. He's played it every day since then, and loves it (though he does really want a full acoustic kit!). He's started a college Music course, and is currently in 3 bands, and loves playing drums.

A drum tutor would be good. Maybe scour Facebook marketplace/eBay/Gumtree/etc. for a cheap-ish second hand mesh kit (the Alesis Nitro Mesh is great). The mesh is a bit more responsive than the rubber pads. They aren't "silent", but they are a damn sight quieter than a full acoustic kit. 

You can get some smaller "desktop" pad units, with hi-hat & bass drum pedals that are inexpensive (IIRC, Yamaha did one). We managed to get one from either Aldi or Lidl one year when he was about 8 or so, but he quickly lost interest in that. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine a secondhand Alesis Nitro Mesh... (Nitro over the Turbo as Head and Rim Snare, expandable and a tower bass drum, rather than a pedal switch £150...)

Then got a SH second tower for double bass drum £30ish... SH Tom 4 and SH Crash 2 at about £25 a go each... (you can get the Tom and Cymbal as an Expansion pack for £100)

He is really happy with it...

SH eKit but go with Mesh Heads...