Why become a member? ×

Source Audio ZIO Bass Preamp!

thisisswanbon

I'm guessing there'll be a few here who know what this is... but this seems exciting! 

Between the Tyne - Wear Derby tomorrow and this on Tuesday, what a time to be alive! Im guessing a bass preamp/diScreenshot_20240105_224325_Facebook.thumb.jpg.7c9f3d03dab167f7d2e23e4540b1529b.jpg

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 4

I bet "Direct from the Source " is a clue..id say you're spot in with the guess.

Im in the market for sime kind of IR loader. Would be interested in something like that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, but didn’t directly hear about it from SA as it’s not something that requires beta testing. 

If you’re google-savvy, you can find it on their site. I shan’t post directly. 

Guess I'm not savvy enough, as all I can find is the Zio 😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, but didn’t directly hear about it from SA as it’s not something that requires beta testing. 

If you’re google-savvy, you can find it on their site. I shan’t post directly. 

damn - I can't find it either!

• Like 1

Just now, LukeFRC said:

Unlike Quatschmacher I have no relationship with SA other than being a satisfied owner of their products... https://www.truetonemusic.com/products/source-audio-bass-zio-preamp-di-pedal 

Nice one.

Im a big fan of the C4. This wouldn't be something im looking for, but always love more options for bass players

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Unlike Quatschmacher I have no relationship with SA other than being a satisfied owner of their products... https://www.truetonemusic.com/products/source-audio-bass-zio-preamp-di-pedal 

Good find! Looks really interesting. I feel like the omission of a mid control and aux in are pretty big misses for a bass preamp, especially from a company who's pedals are usually so feature packed

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

.That link has been 'disappeared' currently ...try this one (live at 09:00 Jan 7):

Zio Analog Bass Premp DI Pedal

SA-Zio.thumb.jpg.33a1127da4c8bd15007fc08310e5da8a.jpg

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 4

The demos sound great but sadly I can't help thinking that they've scored a massive own goal with the foot switch on this.

The tones generally sound fantastic, but if you're running one of these you're probably using it as the foundation for your sound - at a very basic level it seems to take your tone and make it better. What this means though is you're never going to think 'I'm going to switch it off for this section of the tune to make my tone a bit sh!tter for the bridge'.

Conversely there's probably way more occasions where you're more likely to think 'I'd love to kick in a bit of saturation/grit for the chorus' or 'I'd love to engage the scoop for this slap section'.

It's one of the reasons I love the Capo so much (it's the only non-SA pedal on my board, and I've never used the on/off footswitch on that either!)

If the footswitch engaged either the grit or scoop functions (or ideally make this a 2 footswitch pedal with one for each), this would be killer.

Edited by AxelF
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, AxelF said:

The demos sound great but sadly I can't help thinking that they've scored a massive own goal with the foot switch on this.

The tones generally sound fantastic, but if you're running one of these you're probably using it as the foundation for your sound - at a very basic level it seems to take your tone and make it better. What this means though is you're never going to think 'I'm going to switch it off for this section of the tune to make my tone a bit sh!tter for the bridge'.

Conversely there's probably way more occasions where you're more likely to think 'I'd love to kick in a bit of saturation/grit for the chorus' or 'I'd love to engage the scoop for this slap section'.

It's one of the reasons I love the Capo so much (it's the only non-SA pedal on my board, and I've never used the on/off footswitch on that either!)

If the footswitch engaged either the grit or scoop functions (or ideally make this a 2 footswitch pedal with one for each), this would be killer.

I could happily have a 1 channel no stomp switch Capo (like Mesa did with their DI) that’s smaller and maybe even cheaper. Can also ditch the loops for all I care 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds brilliant in the BTW demo! Well-featured too, with the HPF, Scoop and Grit. Separate footswitches for the latter two would be even better but their absence wouldn't be a game-changer for me. I suspect I'll end up getting one of these even though I definitely don't need it 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yay! SA are sending me one of these soon with some other exciting new stuff!

@thisisswanbon do you fancy amending your thread title to accurately reflect the name of the pedal so that it will be able to be found more easily using the search function?

Ooooo 

im also excited about the neuro update you are probably testing but can’t say anything about! 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 1

• thisisswanbon changed the title to Source Audio ZIO Bass Preamp!
9 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yay! SA are sending me one of these soon with some other exciting new stuff!

@thisisswanbon do you fancy amending your thread title to accurately reflect the name of the pedal so that it will be able to be found more easily using the search function?

Good shout, and done!

That's incredibly exciting for you, congrats!  Let us know your thoughts! (Personally, I'm especially interested in whether a mid control would've been useful!)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Good shout, and done!

That's incredibly exciting for you, congrats!  Let us know your thoughts! (Personally, I'm especially interested in whether a mid control would've been useful!)

Thanks. 

MIDI control is not what these collaborations are about. One can always put it in a MIDI loop switcher. What I think folks might see as missing is the lack of footswitch capability for the “grit” and “scoop” controls.

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

im also excited about the neuro update you are probably testing but can’t say anything about! 

Had it installed for weeks but have barely had any time on it sadly as there’s some major life stuff going on at the moment which doesn’t look like letting up any time soon. 😞

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Thanks. 

MIDI control is not what these collaborations are about. One can always put it in a MIDI loop switcher. What I think folks might see as missing is the lack of footswitch capability for the “grit” and “scoop” controls.

Ah sorry man, I meant mid as in EQ (midi has never floated my boat anyway haha)... it seems to have bass and treble controls with a scoop option, but nothing for finer control of the mids... I agree with the footswitch options though, certainly for grit. Although I the BTW video makes it sound like it's expected to be an always on option. 🤔

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any of these out in the wild in the UK? Clamming to see people's thoughts! I keep telling myself I'm happy with my set up, but "if I just sell this, this and that I can buy a ZIO bass pre" keeps being a thing 😬

They've received a good reception on Talkbass, but I always take over there with a pinch of salt...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thisisswanbon said:

Any of these out in the wild in the UK? Clamming to see people's thoughts! I keep telling myself I'm happy with my set up, but "if I just sell this, this and that I can buy a ZIO bass pre" keeps being a thing 😬

They've received a good reception on Talkbass, but I always take over there with a pinch of salt...

I’m getting one sent out to me today hopefully, along with some other nice goodies from the kind folks at SA. I’ll report back. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Well I got this yesterday evening and it’s really very nice indeed. Not sure it’s going to replace my Fliptop as it’s a bit cleaner sounding than that. Definitely makes my bass sound way better and the grit has a very nice quality to it.

Oh, and the new thing. 🤯 It’s brilliant!

• Like 2