Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Metro Express - Waterslide decal replacement and refinish

carlsim

Not a build thread, but a fun little project! So, I took delivery of a Sadowsky Metro express and immediately detached the neck and sanded off the decal after removing the tuners.

I preempted it's arrival and ordered a new decal for it (uploaded on another post by a kind BC'er) and although it doesn't exactly match the new decals on the new models (the new ones don't have a space between Metro and Express), it's pretty much the same and at least it will distinguish between older gens and newer ones!

So, next stage will be a couple of light dust coast of clear coat on the headstock(I think I am going with the Rust-oleum Poly), a light sand so the decal will have something to adhere to and then on it will go once dry. I have added a bit of tru-oil after the initial sanding for colour tinting so will have to rough that up a bit before the dust coats on the headstock. I was going for a full stain approach but have given up on that for now.

Then , plenty of dust coats, a couple of wet coats and then a wet sand and buff - should be all good! Will update when I can.

Previous post!

"What so you guys use to seal in decals? I recently acquired a Sadowsky Metro Express and have had a new decal made as per the newer models to replace the old Tesco looking one.

I want to darken the maple first with a subtle stain and then will tru-oil the rest of the neck. The decal I would prefer to seal in - what is the best stuff to use?

I was thinking of a spray on Poly - satin finish which i can buff up to a sheen... I dont think I want it glossy..."

sad1.jpg

sad2.jpg

sad 3.jpg

17122988_800 (1).jpg

Edited by carlsim
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, carlsim said:

What so you guys use to seal in decals? I recently acquired a Sadowsky Metro Express and have had a new decal made as per the newer models to replace the old Tesco looking one.

I want to darken the maple first with a subtle stain and then will tru-oil the rest of the neck. The decal I would prefer to seal in - what is the best stuff to use?

I was thinking of a spray on Poly - satin finish which i can buff up to a sheen... I dont think I want it glossy...

You should be okay using two or three light coats of the Tru-oil.

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

The makers of many of the decal materials recommend an acrylic spray to seal/fix. I have used this method many times.

Can you recommend a specify spray / brand??

If it’s a water slide decal I normally mist a couple of coats of sealer over the decal before I immerse in water to do the slide bit. Stops the decal curling up as much in the water making the sliding part a lot easier. 

• carlsim changed the title to Sadowsky Metro Express - Waterslide decal replacement and refinish
35 minutes ago, baldwinbass said:

I've used Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear with success

I think I am going with the Rust-Oleum spray poly - think I am going matt finish though as apparently it will buff up to a satin finish...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlsim said:

I think I am going with the Rust-Oleum spray poly - think I am going matt finish though as apparently it will buff up to a satin finish...

Have you got some spare decal material that you can try it on before trying it on the real decal?

I was sent two decals so I have a fail safe of a spare - just in case!

Instructions state to do a few mist coats and build it up very gradually before laying down proper coats... as long as i get it sealed, that will do for me!

40 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Have you got some spare decal material that you can try it on before trying it on the real decal?

Posted (edited)

So a quick wet sand of the dust coats to seal in the headstock and the decal went on relatively smoothly (despite it folding in half when it came off the paper!)

Slid nicely into place and dried off with no bubbles... one tiny bit of dust but with the cover clear coats that should be invisible hopefully!

Anyway... looking good so far! Going to leave it to dry and stick overnight and then will be dust coats to start sealing in tomorrow.

sad 5.jpg

Edited by carlsim
  • Like 4

‘Twas a shame it all went pear shaped! A hair got in the clear coat and when I pulled it out the clear coat got under the decal and melted it! Doh!! 
oh well… back to bare wood and start again! 

• Sad 1

So... after all the faff of taking the headstock back to the wood after the ' hair in the clear coat ' debacle... 

finally we back to a new decal (the correct one now without a space in between Metro and Express and now ready again for some dust coats to seal the decal in. Will give it a few hours to stick and will add a dust coat later this afternoon.

Looking good though! Again...

sad5.jpg

• Like 3

I also realised I placed the first one a smidge too high up the headstock - checking against other Sadowskys, there seems to be some variation so I think this time looks a bit better!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So... a few more coats of laquer and it's all back together and I'm really pleased with the outcome. You can see a small faint outline of the decal but that is only in certain light and angles.

I wasn't going to do a rub and buff but i don't think it needs it and it looks great as is.

Would do it again if another of these came my way - lucky I have a spare decal!

sad fin 1.jpg

sad fin 2.jpg

sad fin 3.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Cool!

I did something similar on my 5 string fretted one.

I also changed the pickups for a set of Sadowsky hum-cancelling ones, installed a Sadowsky preamp too, and had a clear pickguard made too.

20230924_102811.jpg

20231011_114017.jpg

Nice!

where did you get your decal from? 
is it a waterslide one? Looks a bit more invisible in terms of edges than mine…

did you cover the decal with anything? Clear coat? Varnish?

Edited by carlsim

I must admit, I know there were a lot of problems electronics wise with some of these, mine seems as quiet as a mouse! No noise at all… maybe I got lucky!

going to see how it goes before I make further mods as it isn’t going to be a regular gig machine… more occasional!

I just got the decal off ebay.  I applied satin nitrocellulose lacquer on the headstock (I masked off the edges and the fingerboard before spraying).

Once I had applied around 6 very thin coats, I left it for 2-3 weeks, and then flatted the finish and then buffed it to a sheen. Leaving the lacquer allows the solvent to evaporate so you get a smooth surface when doing the wet sanding / flatting.

As for the pickups and preamp,  I just did that on a whim.

If I was doing it again,  I think I'd just do the preamp upgrade and keep the original pickups. 

When doing the headstock,  I also rolled tge fingerboard edges so the neck now feels really comfortable in the fretting hand.

• 2 months later...

I went here for my decal:

https://www.guitardecals.co.uk

really helpful guy and you get 2 decals for about £10. I saw this as a just in case but it also persuaded me to buy a second bass!

My process:

rub the headstock down

mask up (get some good quality masking tape, I used frog tape for the edge.)

apply a few dust coats of poly (I used rust oleum satin poly)

let it dry for a couple of days and do a very light wet sand with 1200

apply your decal

Apply at least 8-10 very light dust coats of your chosen finish, after this you can layer it on a bit thicker to get the finish you are after…

the question lies with what finish you are after - gloss, satin or Matt. I didn’t bother doing a wet sand at the end and buff, I was happy with what I had. 

hope this helps - certainly improved the overall look in my view and it wasn’t a lot of work. Very gradual and don’t rush it!

carl. 

• Like 1

Now that is an explanation even a woodworking noob like me can understand. Thank you kindly @carlsim. All I need is the bass...

Last question... What are the dimensions you used for the decal. The "Sadowsky" part I mean? 

Ta, muchly 

17 hours ago, carlsim said:

I went here for my decal:

https://www.guitardecals.co.uk

really helpful guy and you get 2 decals for about £10. I saw this as a just in case but it also persuaded me to buy a second bass!

Looks great Carl 👌🏼

I recommended Robs decals back when I refurbished the BlazerRay on here, good to see he's still going strong 👍🏼

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/337115-the-blazerray-now-finished/?do=findComment&comment=3721818

• Like 1