Why become a member? ×

Best octaver pedal for 5 string fretless. Your opinion.

nilorius

It's 2024. heart is beating. Would like an octave pedal. Watching at MXR M288. No way it can be tried out at places in offer. Who can write the opinion on this octave with fretless. Maybe better recommendations. Thanks.

12 hours ago, nilorius said:

Yeah....great response from BC members. Cheers!

image.png.09b5d423a6af031f6bfa8934bd998a59.png

You asked quite a specific question 'Best octaver pedal for 5 string fretless' and even more specifically about the MXR M288 for that use. It's a bit of an obscure/niche question to get in a huff about not getting a response in less than 3hrs! Even if someone was in that small niche and happened to read your question in that time perhaps they couldn't drop what they were doing to urgently tell you.  

Anyway, I don't know about on fretless but the M288 is a decent analogue octaver. Personally, I prefer the Octamizer though. No analogue ocatvers I've used have been very good on notes below the low A though so that B string didn't get used much with them.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, nilorius said:

Yeah....great response from BC members. Cheers!

After only 3 hours? Your expectations are unreasonable.

And you don't specify whether you're looking for octave up or octave down.

I'd say don't buy anything without trying a Boss OC-5 first. 

• Like 2

Great video from Ed Friedland Rob, I think were I ever in the market for another octave I'd go for the MXR, granted it's only got one octave down, but I only use one octave of my OC2 anyway.

29 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Great video from Ed Friedland Rob, I think were I ever in the market for another octave I'd go for the MXR, granted it's only got one octave down, but I only use one octave of my OC2 anyway.

I'm tempted by that pedal tbf. Seems to track well and has two voicings of the octave down, and a mid switch

Anyway, I like the OC-5 best. It tracks better than the MXR even though the MXR has a slightly nicer tone to my ears.

I always run an HPF after an Octave so I can leave it on even when playing the lowest notes. Everything octaved below a normal B (A string 2nd fret) then cuts off before it goes to the amp. Stops a lot of muddy nonsense.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1